this might be a big ask but...

All posts relating to the CactiGuide.com Big Picture Project
adetheproducer

this might be a big ask but...

Post by adetheproducer »

I like the pictures and use it as quite a valuable resource and quite a few of the species have pictures of seed included. I think it would be great if you could also get seedlings put in Too. It would provide a great reference and would put cactiguide.com above any other identification website out there. I appriciate the difficulty in getting picture but I'm sure you members will be more that happy to provide.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
leland

Re: this might be a big ask but...

Post by leland »

I grappled with this same issue when I started my personal webpage. It takes a lot of photos to document each species-- mature plant, immature plant, flower bud, flower, bisected flower, immature fruit, mature fruit, bisected fruit, seed, seedling...

And then throw in some environmental shots--plant in sun, plant in forest, odd forms,etc. Pretty soon you are up to a dozen or more pix of each species

The only book I have found that attempts something like this is Las Cactaceae de Guatemala by Veliz. One of the bennies of online publishing is that the photos don`t cost much to destribute. In print books they really drive the price up.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Great idea. Definitely want to add more seed and seeding images, along with more desctiptions,etc.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Definitely a worthwhile endeavour, but it would take a lot of effort. I'm hoping to fill in all the gaps in the genus Eriosyce. I think I now have material of all species listed on cactiguide, except garaventae and marksiana. Then again, I'm expecting the taxonomy to change for that group so I won't hold my breath. :P
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog