Cacti soil

This forum is reserved for you to post a list of what you grow and/or what you want to trade -no discussion posts please
dave123791

Cacti soil

Post by dave123791 »

Before i joined this site i thought cacti can live in any garden soil or in the soil they come in from the shop, but now i see how many mistakes i made, i saw a great article on how to make a cacti soil mix, but i don't have the requirements to do it. So does anyone have a soil similar to this one http://www.cactiguide.com/article/?article=article8.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, needs to be homemade i could buy? I want to buy 1kg of it or approx 1kg, will need to ship. I have no idea how much that would cost so please suggest a price. I will obviously cover all the shipping costs. Can buy from the 6th of July due to payment reasons.
adetheproducer

Re: Cacti soil

Post by adetheproducer »

While these soil mixes you see are good its better to taylor you soil to your circumstances. I live in wales so we will get quite similar cold wet and dark weather with intermittent heat and sun during the summer. So I collect my ingredients from nature for free. Streams are good for grit and sands and silts. Stones are easily come by just break the up with a hammer for smaller chippings. I use almist 100% mineral soil most of my plants don't even have dirt just stones, grit, chippings. This type of rock based soil drains very quickly so the damp weather is not so damaging. Also there is a very good article about cacti soil called stone eaters. Go to http://www.xerophylia.ro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and have a look at the magazines they got its one of the earlier ones, very good reading. But in the article it gives a big list of soil ingredients which are surprisingly easly to come by in uk.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
dave123791

Post by dave123791 »

adetheproducer wrote:While these soil mixes you see are good its better to taylor you soil to your circumstances. I live in wales so we will get quite similar cold wet and dark weather with intermittent heat and sun during the summer. So I collect my ingredients from nature for free. Streams are good for grit and sands and silts. Stones are easily come by just break the up with a hammer for smaller chippings. I use almist 100% mineral soil most of my plants don't even have dirt just stones, grit, chippings. This type of rock based soil drains very quickly so the damp weather is not so damaging. Also there is a very good article about cacti soil called stone eaters. Go to http://www.xerophylia.ro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and have a look at the magazines they got its one of the earlier ones, very good reading. But in the article it gives a big list of soil ingredients which are surprisingly easly to come by in uk.
So basically to make a soil mix i need sand, grit and stones?
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Read that magazine on xerophylia. Ro it will explain but the basics is that cacti are unlike most plants in that they don't need the organics found in most dirt, there are some exceptions as always but most will grow like moss on rock and be healthy while eliminating issues like drainage, bacteria and fungi inbalances that can cause rot and other diseases harbored in rich soils with organics.
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
dave123791

Post by dave123791 »

adetheproducer wrote:Read that magazine on xerophylia. Ro it will explain but the basics is that cacti are unlike most plants in that they don't need the organics found in most dirt, there are some exceptions as always but most will grow like moss on rock and be healthy while eliminating issues like drainage, bacteria and fungi inbalances that can cause rot and other diseases harbored in rich soils with organics.
I read the article, very helpful. Thanks
JimHSoars

Post by JimHSoars »

dave123791:

Which of the issues is the article in?

- Jim
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Its in the one called the stone eaters.