wanted : seed seller in chicago

This forum is reserved for you to post a list of what you grow and/or what you want to trade -no discussion posts please
wikicactus

wanted : seed seller in chicago

Post by wikicactus »

hello , i'm looking for a rare cactus seeds seller in chicago .

anyone ?

tnx
A cactus lover from PERSIA

http://wikicactus.com
Christopher Howard

Re: wanted : seed seller in chicago

Post by Christopher Howard »

Why not order online?

I live in Chicago and I don't think there's anything really here. Trust me, I've looked.

There are several reputable dealers that many of us on the forum buy from. Some of them even use the forum themselves.

~Christopher
wikicactus

Post by wikicactus »

thank you for your reply Christopher ,

Where can I buy cactus seeds online? can i trust them ?

tnx

Alber khan

Post by Alber khan »

I have heard Mesa garden is good,several cactophiles over here order seeds from Mesa garden.
When thousands of foes unite, for my ruins plot–
If only You remain by my side, I then fear not!
I live for a hoped union with thee, it is my desired prize–
Or all my moments are spent- in the fright of demise!
~Hafez (1325 – 1389): From Ghazal No. 287
Christopher Howard

Mesa Garden is very reliable and very reputable. I think most people on this forum would vouch for that. At this point of the year, they aren't as busy as the beginning of the year so you'll hear back quickly from Steven at MG about making your order and get your seeds quickly. At the beginning of the year, they're swamped with orders so it may take more time for them to get your order to you.

They have a massive selection of cactus, succulent, and mesemb seeds and plants. You can order any time of the year, I just made one this week. At this point in the year, they may be sold out of some things, but there's a chance you'll be able to get all that you want. This order, I was able to get all but one plant that I requested. When you order near the beginning of the year, when they put up a new list of plant seeds to order from, there's a good chance you can get everything you want, just order quickly if you're trying to get rare seeds that everyone wants to order.

But yes, you can trust them. People from around the world order from them. You can go to their website and read the home page and such so you understand how you can put an order through.

I did just order a few plants from C and D plants. They are Craig and Denise Fry. They are on the forum, you can see plants from their very impressive collection in the two sections Member Topics (for their cacti) and General Succulents (for their succulents).

There are other nice places that people order from, but I haven't ordered from them yet.

Check out Miles2go and Corona Cactus.
wikicactus

Post by wikicactus »

thanks alot

Christopher Howard

no problem. Ask anything else too. What part of Chicago is Persia in?
wikicactus

Post by wikicactus »

i am not from chicago , i'm from persia (iran) . my uncle lives in chicago .

Christopher Howard

Oh, alright. :) Makes sense.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Importing plants is a problem due to CITES restrictions, importing seed usually is not so don't restrict yourself to seed sellers in your own country, or any particular country. Many also accept PayPal these days so no currency exchange problems and most will reply to emails in English as well as their own language. See a list of seed sellers, usually with web sites and downloadable seed lists on Cactus Mall:-

http://www.cactus-mall.com/seeds.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also if you are after particular seeds just Google their name adding "seeds" and you will find other sellers around the world. Over 45 years I have never had a seed seller take the money and not send the seeds. However germination can vary between seed sellers, plus seed germination can vary in different years.

Seed of our plants is usually counted as botanical species and does not come under seed selling germination requirements operative in many countries for garden or agricultural plants. If you set 5 seeds of a rare plant if all 5 come up you are delighted if not amazed, but even if only one germinates you have obtained a new plant at a fraction of what it would cost from a nurseryman, even if you could obtain that plant yet. That said the more common species usually germinate pretty well.

I suppose it is "Sods Law" that the more common a once rare plant becomes the easier and better seed seems to germinate! Often habitat seed does not germinate as well as that from cultivated plants, strange really.
wikicactus

Post by wikicactus »

thanks for your great info