Rare/Interesting Opuntia (Cutting or seed)

This forum is reserved for you to post a list of what you grow and/or what you want to trade -no discussion posts please
Brandoncyclonefan

Rare/Interesting Opuntia (Cutting or seed)

Post by Brandoncyclonefan »

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and this will be my first post!
I have a decent collection of cacti and succulents about 60 different species that I grow. I live in a suburb of Chicago, IL, but currently a student in Iowa.
My favorite kind of cactus are the Opuntias. Does anyone have any rare or interesting species or cultivars they would be willing to trade or sell?
(Cuttings or seeds)
If anyone knows where I might be able to find O. echios and/or megasperma that would be helpful as well!

If trade is an option, I have 7 clean Opuntia humifusa seed that I collected in the fall from plants in Omaha, NE. They have been wintered in the fridge, so ready to sow! I also have cuttings of O. 'baby rita' and 'johnsons hybrid' available. I am currently growing out my O. Zebrina 'reticulata' and will have cuttings available shortly!

Please let me know if anyone is interested!

-Brandon
Peterthecactusguy

Re: Rare/Interesting Opuntia (Cutting or seed)

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

not sure where to get the O. echios, or O. megasperma sorry. I love Opuntia too. If you look at my thread for my grow list you can see what I have, I have too many to list. I have all of the ones you wanna trade with bit let me know if you see something. Might think of a trade or something. :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Brandoncyclonefan

Thanks for the reply! I haven't been able to find any of the O. echios or megasperma anywhere other than ebay. (And they are relatively costly if you want to be the highest bidder, thats for sure!) I looked at your list, and the O. basilaris monstrose sounds interesting. I am planning on making an inventory list in the next couple weeks. Not sure if my cactus collection will suffice for a trade, but maybe some of my other succulents will be of interest.

-Brandon
Peterthecactusguy

ok. Let me take a look. I just got al my plants outside for the spring. Its warming up nicely here in AZ. :)
Brandoncyclonefan

If only I lived in such a climate! I will be waiting a while to take my plants out, here in the midwest!
majcka

Post by majcka »

Brandoncyclonefan wrote:If only I lived in such a climate! I will be waiting a while to take my plants out, here in the midwest!
I have some more Opuntia phaecantha, Oputia phaecantha var. camachica and Opuntia compresa seeds. (labels can be wrongly puted thow ](*,) , but they are that 3 spicies). I can send you if you want.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

Did you really see O. megasperma on eBay? I've been looking for it for ages!
I do have O. echios v. gigantea. Mine has produced a couple little pads at the end of last summer and they didn't have time to get very large, but hoping they get Muchh larger this spring. Might be interested in your O. Zebrina 'reticulata' or maybe even your Omaha plant... if its not like one I have already. Wanna post some pics?

Oh... and Just saw your in for a big storm tomororw! Good luck and stay warm!
8-12 Inches! Wow!
Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

I don't have a list but I have about every Opuntia species in this area in cultivation. If there is something specific that you would like to have from southern Utah, I'll send you a few pads. I don't normally do this but you just have to support someone that likes Opuntia.!!!! I also have seed from most species in this region if you prefer that.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
Peterthecactusguy

BTW the spring sale is this month at Desert Botanical Gardens. If I see some of those Opuntia I will buy them. I got an Opuntia hondurensis there last year :)
Brandoncyclonefan

Majka- Thank you very much for the offer, but I am not entirely familiar with the laws and regulations regarding importing seed.

Paulzie32- I have seen O. echios v. gigantean and I actually have seen a megasperma! It was quite a ways back when I was just beginning to become an Opuntia fan. Even if I had known that it would be rare to come across another for sale, I remember the bidding war reaching greater than $80.00 for a single pad! I am certainly interested in your O. echios V. gigantean, even if it is a small pad! I am in the process of growing out my ‘reticulata’. I bought it as a single plant and made it into three cuttings last fall. I now have it in a greenhouse and the new growth is coming along nicely! I will post a picture soon. I actually am currently in Iowa, so I was spared the storm! But I will be returning shortly, so I hope the weather settles when I travel!
P.S. – I have seed I collected last summer from Omaha, NE. I collected from a patch of humifusa growing at a zoo/garden. (I got permission too, so that’s a plus!) :D

A. Dean Stock- I will have to look for your grow list, I’m sure I will find something that interests me! I’m not sure if my collection will have anything of interest for you, but I appreciate your offer! We Opuntia fans have to stick together!

Peterthecactusguy – Thanks very much for the look out! Let us know what you find!

-Brandon
Peterthecactusguy

Brandon, no problem. I will go to the sale and see. They might have it, they might not. They usually have just the regular cacti, but you never know. I have seen both of those plants, I believe at DBG. I have actually held a potted O. echios (I think it's var gigantea tho) but I am not sure. I am not an expert on them but I know what they look like. I love Opuntia. :)
Brandoncyclonefan

Also, while we are on the topic of Opuntia... Does anyone have a pad of Opuntia 'sunburst' they would like to sell? I have been looking to get one of those as well.

Thanks,

-Brandon
Peterthecactusguy

I have a single pad with 4 pads growing off of it. Let me check and see if any buded. If they aren't growing I can send one. :)
Brandoncyclonefan

Thanks Peter!

That would be fantastic! Please let me know when you find out! I'd be glad to send some money to pay for the shipping as well as a few more for the pad if you wish.
Let me know what you think!

-Brandon
Peterthecactusguy

think there might be one or two without any buds on them.
I am however going to go to bed. I will send you a PM tomorrow