rules for trade of contraband species?

This forum is reserved for you to post a list of what you grow and/or what you want to trade -no discussion posts please
Rÿcher

rules for trade of contraband species?

Post by Rÿcher »

if a certain species is banned in a region where certain members live, would that bar people here who live in such area from asking other members for said species be sent to them?

I'm thinking of a very nice 4-6 year old peyote cactus with a full bloom pink or white flower on top. I don't like the look of those black warty looking ones. Blech! I'd also like it to be just a single nodule or button. See this as a prime example as what I'd like.

As indicated in the above statement, I simply want this as a decorative plant only! In fact, if you could provide care tips and instructions with it, that would be great!
Some truths in sci fi:

Han shot first
Even numbered Star Trek movies are better
HAL dosed Bowman
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

Yes, and it would be proper to get both you and the person sending it to you banned from the board.

Seem's a bit harsh, perhaps, but all responsible exotic plant internet boards have a very developed protocol about the subject.

That isn't to say that wild collected plants can't be traded, etc.... and that every jot and tittle of every nation's laws be slavishly followed, but the minute we start allowing things like the wholesale Ariocarpus rape that's taking place on eBay right now to enter here, we are no longer a in a mainstream plant community but are rather a bunch of poachers.
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

PS, that doesn't mean that someone from the UK can't send certain seeds to someone in Arizona etc... Please don't think I was preaching.

In the above hypothetical situation one would naturally not want to involve this board in any way. Not asking for banned species, and not asking for mature restricted species, etc..

After developing relations with other responsible growers, there won't be much that you can't get, but not only can we as a forum not officially allow anything illegal to be encouraged, but those fellow growers will be responsible as well.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Tim,
I just hit the board. I don't think Rÿcher is talking about wild plants, but is concerned that Lophophora is not legal because of it being considered a controlled substance.

Rÿcher, (or should I say number 1?) you don't say where you are located. You know not all contries have a ban on Lophophora williamsii. For that matter, if you grow L. diffusa, you might be OK too. And who can tell the two apart? :wink:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

Yes, I got that, and it's true many of us got our 'rare' plants from people who would bend a rule or two. But the "P" word was used, and a blooming sized one at that, and that's two red flags to anyone reading this.
MichaelCactus

Post by MichaelCactus »

Not to jump the gun, but perhaps he just wants a nice blooming Loph, but all he knows them as are Peyote cactus?

But say a nice 4-6yro plant leads me to think otherwise.
Completely Confused, yet Completely Addicted.
Rÿcher

Post by Rÿcher »

less energy than to have to type out Lophophora williamsii (and I had to copy that from a post from above)

I have no interest in getting high or whatever peyote does to you. To quote Reagan's mother from The Exorcist, "I don't even smoke grass" though I did buy a bong thinking it was a rose vase.

Anyway, if you can't, that's cool. I just like the look of the cactus is all.
Some truths in sci fi:

Han shot first
Even numbered Star Trek movies are better
HAL dosed Bowman
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- It's not that big a deal. Plenty of forum members have probably managed to obtain seed and/or plants in a wide variety of ways. I think it's probably all right to post "looking for members of the genus Lophophora, please PM me."

peterb
Zone 9
mendel

Post by mendel »

If you want L williamsii plants, look on ebay.
Southeast Colorado, zone 6b
peterb

Post by peterb »

...and be sure you don't order:

Euphorbia obesa
Ariocarpus fissuratus
Astrophytum asterias
Echinopsis pachanoi

peterb
Zone 9
urb

Post by urb »

Didn't Diffusa recently become declassified?
mjazz

Post by mjazz »

peterb wrote:...and be sure you don't order:

Euphorbia obesa
Ariocarpus fissuratus
Astrophytum asterias
Echinopsis pachanoi

peterb
Why is that?
Are those the ones currently being poached?
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I think he means not to order plants labled that way thinking it is a cover name for an actual Lophophora??
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

My unsolicited 2 cents.

I really, really like the forum here and I think Daiv (and everyone else involved) is awesome for making it all happen.

That being said, I am always amazed and a little put off by all the talk about growing illegal plants. I am certainly no prude and I think a lot of "drug" laws are hypocritical nonsense but that is not the point.

The point is, law enforcement can be extremely overzealous and entirely illogical. There are plenty of stories out there featuring innocent people being caught up in a federal nightmare. It would really suck for Daiv, or anyone here, to be hassled about it. Cultivation (lights, etc.) in conjunction with cannibas, loph williamsii, salvia, etc. is just asking for trouble. I think it would be best to maintain a strict no discuss policy for these subjects.

Obviously some sort of exception needs to be made for all the posters residing in countries with more logical laws regarding LW.
cantharis

Post by cantharis »

tvaughan wrote:Yes, and it would be proper to get both you and the person sending it to you banned from the board.
Disagree with that completely. L. williamsii is perfectly legal here, as it is in the vast majority of the world´s 200 or so countries. However, I am not an expert on the law in every other country, and if anybody wanted a L. williamsii (or seeds) I would be happy to send them one. It would be up to the recipient to know the rules in his country.
Earth has enough for man´s need, but not for man´s greed - Gandhi