Sowing Tephorcactus and others: advices needed

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
mmcavall

Re: Sowing Tephorcactus and others: advices needed

Post by mmcavall »

Thank you esp_ for your comment.
My seeds are all already stored in dry cold (+10C) since November, so no matter what method I choose, they will have passed the dry cold period first.
The treatment 1 is closer to your suggestion. In fact, today I noticed that one of the Tephros germinated.
I'll consider taking some of the seeds and use the normal warm and damp ziplock.
Thank you.
Robb

Post by Robb »

I've had really good germination on Austrocylindropuntia floccosa (which is said by some to be impossible to germinate) by sanding away the seed coat and little and soaking them in water. But, as others have said, there does't seem to be any particular "silver bullet" for these plants. My advice is experiment a lot and record what works, and stick to it!
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Robb wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:30 am I've had really good germination on Austrocylindropuntia floccosa (which is said by some to be impossible to germinate) by sanding away the seed coat and little and soaking them in water. But, as others have said, there does't seem to be any particular "silver bullet" for these plants. My advice is experiment a lot and record what works, and stick to it!
Thank you , Robb!
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

mmcavall wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:37 pm thank you all for the comments
my seeds are from Cactus Moravia. Hope they are viable.
I'll separate them in 4 groups:
1) Dry cold (+10C) for two months, followed by 48 hours in warm water, then ziploc with coffee filter imbibed in water at a regimen of 35C with lights, 20C dark;
2) Dry cold (+10C) for two months followed by 48 hours in warm water and then sowing in potting mix in the greenhouse;
3) Wet cold (+5C) in ziploc with coffee filter imbibed in water for two months, followed by 48 hours in warm water and then sowing in potting mix;
4) Wet cold (+5C) in the potting mix, wet substrate, for two months, then greenhouse.
a little complicated but I hope to get at least one seedling of each species...
Until now, a single seed sprouted (T. geometricus). Treatment 4. Kind of frustrating but I have a T. geometricus now! This is priceless...

I'm afraid even to look at the seedling. I don't want to lose it. Can it remain in the closed bag for too long? I'm thinking about taking it out of the bag.