Sowing Tephorcactus and others: advices needed

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
mmcavall

Sowing Tephorcactus and others: advices needed

Post by mmcavall »

I have now some seeds of four species of Tephrocactos, plus some Tunilla and Puna bonniaea.

I've already read here and there that these are difficult species for germinate.

Does anyone have some experience to share?

Thanks in advance!
ElieEstephane

Re: Sowing Tephorcactus and others: advices needed

Post by ElieEstephane »

If im not misktaken (as the only info i have ia from what i've read), they need cold stratification
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Thank you Elie!
My seeds are already in the cold (dry and cold chamber at +10C), so when I sow then in a warm place, I'll have done cold stratification?

Alternatively, should I try cold moist stratification (using a wet coffee filter sealed inside a plastic baggie in the cold chamber, for example)?

Thanks a lot, these seeds are "my precious".
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Unfortunately, my experience stops at my earlier comment. However, i'm not sure 10 degrees is cold enough. When i usually cold stratify (non cactus) seeds, it's in the fridge at 4-5 degrees in moist soil.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Yes, indeed, once I did as you said (in the fridge at 4-5 degrees in moist soil) with Opuntia potsii seeds.(One out of ten germinated). Thank you Elie, I'll try to find more info and I'll post here.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

There is something here: viewtopic.php?t=20257
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

It's really unknown what type of treatment works for these guys. There's good studies for Opuntia, but even there it seems species-dependent. I've had nearly 100% germination on a dozen T. geometricus field numbers without any stratification, and nothing when scarifying for others.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

mdpillet wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:32 pm I've had nearly 100% germination on a dozen T. geometricus field numbers without any stratification, and nothing when scarifying for others.
Did you try brecht?
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

ElieEstephane wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:58 pm
mdpillet wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:32 pm I've had nearly 100% germination on a dozen T. geometricus field numbers without any stratification, and nothing when scarifying for others.
Did you try brecht?
I've only ordered Maihueniopsis from Bercht. Tephrocactus from ADBLPS.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

thank you all for the comments
my seeds are from Cactus Moravia. Hope they are viable.
I'll separate them in 4 groups:
1) Dry cold (+10C) for two months, followed by 48 hours in warm water, then ziploc with coffee filter imbibed in water at a regimen of 35C with lights, 20C dark;
2) Dry cold (+10C) for two months followed by 48 hours in warm water and then sowing in potting mix in the greenhouse;
3) Wet cold (+5C) in ziploc with coffee filter imbibed in water for two months, followed by 48 hours in warm water and then sowing in potting mix;
4) Wet cold (+5C) in the potting mix, wet substrate, for two months, then greenhouse.
a little complicated but I hope to get at least one seedling of each species...
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Is it just me or cactus moravia prices are over inflated even for some of the common species?
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

ElieEstephane wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:57 pm Is it just me or cactus moravia prices are over inflated even for some of the common species?
Yes, they are definitely the most expensive of the Eastern European companies. However, some of their selection is unbeatable (e.g. Discocactus on their current list).
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

I took an offer of 20 packs of seeds for free in my first purchase. So I paid for 10 packs and would receive 30. This would dilute the price and would be a good deal. However, I received only the 10 packs I paid for. I wrote back to them but had no answer. I don’t regret anything; I just hope the seeds are viable. If I have one of sprout at each species I bought I’ll be happy.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

mmcavall wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:37 pm thank you all for the comments
my seeds are from Cactus Moravia. Hope they are viable.
I'll separate them in 4 groups:
1) Dry cold (+10C) for two months, followed by 48 hours in warm water, then ziploc with coffee filter imbibed in water at a regimen of 35C with lights, 20C dark;
2) Dry cold (+10C) for two months followed by 48 hours in warm water and then sowing in potting mix in the greenhouse;
3) Wet cold (+5C) in ziploc with coffee filter imbibed in water for two months, followed by 48 hours in warm water and then sowing in potting mix;
4) Wet cold (+5C) in the potting mix, wet substrate, for two months, then greenhouse.
a little complicated but I hope to get at least one seedling of each species...
I'd be tempted to start a decent sized batch in normal damp + warm conditions. If some of them germinate, great. If not, you can then experiment with cold / dry periods, chipping or whatever else you choose to experiment with. Especially if you are trying some in the coffee filter in ziplock bag - why not use a normal warm and damp ziplock first?
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti