Cool echinopsis from seed

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
stefan m.

Cool echinopsis from seed

Post by stefan m. »

This time im thinking of trying out succseed.
Im interested in buying CORE echinopsis species(no lobivia, no trichocereus).
Any species worth paying attention to?
ElieEstephane

Re: Cool echinopsis from seed

Post by ElieEstephane »

See the echinospsis species on succseed and check them out 1 by 1. That's how i pick
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Im thinking ferox( its white flowered so its not a proper lobivia) and mammilosa for now.Lobivias too, but ive already set my eyes on several.
(mainly barrels and small ones0
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

They have an extensive range of echinocereus. Why not look into that? They are very easy from seed and won't occupy windowsill space since you can leave them outside under a rain cover. Plus their flowers are as beautiful as echinopsis
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

echinocereus- allready sown some, and bought some too. Think that one worked. Ill look into it next.
Robb

Post by Robb »

If you are looking for "proper" Echinopsis, then I personally wouldn't go for E. ferox. It has been included in Lobivia, and IMO I'd probably still label mine under Lobivia. As far as white flowers go for being a distinguishing feature for them, while a number do indeed have white flowers, several species of Lobivia have them as well; you'd probably be better off seeing what was originally included in Echinopsis if that's what you're looking for. I'd personally go for some of the smaller growing Lobivias such as jajoiana or marsoneri.
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
7george

Post by 7george »

Echinopsis leucantha is worth having it. I'm looking for grown up one, almost ready to bloom. :D
And it's not a Lobivia either Trichocereus.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

I'd recommend ancistrophora as it produces its flowers at a young age. The plants that Succseed lists under this name are all white flowered (the coloured plants sometimes encountered under this name are listed with the lobivias). I have his MN63 which produces pretty big flowers for a small plant. Not from Succseed though Mats sells it, I also have sp. Lau 400 (which is another ancistrophora; mine has a purple tint to the skin). chacoana is a nice contrast with longish, straight spines. It's related to leucantha but flowers when smaller.
It's a different discussion, but what we've been calling 'core' or 'true' Echinopsis for a long time has been thrown up in the air a bit by DNA studies - according to some, only two have been mentioned so far in this thread and they're probably the last ones you'd expect them to be!
But, yes, for nice white flowers on smallish plants, I'd get an ancistrophora MN63 and a chacoana.