Neowerdermanii workwekii Yes or No?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
stefan m.

Neowerdermanii workwekii Yes or No?

Post by stefan m. »

A simple one for you guys, should i get seeds for it or not.
Your answer should be based on your experience growing it or its difficulty to grow.
ElieEstephane

Re: Neowerdermanii workwekii Yes or No?

Post by ElieEstephane »

I can't comment on gowing from seed but back when i started collecting i aquired a small one from a cactus specialized nursery (that is now unfortunately closed). I bought it in autumn and repotted it dry and never watered in winter but somehow it managed to rot despite my best efforts. I guess winter humidity is to be blamed.
It is best to graft it.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

So, thats a no.
Allright for: 0. against :1
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Why would you allow other peoples opinion decide if you should grow a certain species? If you like the species, just try it. What is there to lose, but just a little bit of money (that could bring you much joy)?

Sometimes a difficult species is not hard to grow. Or at least not for you. And sometimes an easy one is hard to grow, at least for you. Try it, and you know it. We all have different growing conditions, and you might be surprised by what a species can like. And if it fails, just restart the seeds a year later, or order some more seeds and try those again. I have had multiple failures of certain species for it finally was a success. If I would be scared of even trying, it would have prevented me from a lot of enjoyment and experiences...
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

For:1 Against :1
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Sometimes a difficult species is not hard to grow. Or at least not for you. And sometimes an easy one is hard to grow, at least for you. Try it, and you know it
Im gonna have to very strongly agree with you on that one. Some easy plants like hatioracereus ,mammilaria echinopsis and trichoereus have been harder to maintain than ferocacti, stenocereus, pachycereus, dracaena draco..