Problems germinating Gymnocalycium

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
RiseMoon

Problems germinating Gymnocalycium

Post by RiseMoon »

Hey, I've try two times to germinate Gymnocalycium seeds from koheres shop. No-one germinate after 1 month. I have had other similar issues with other seeds from that shop, when some others have a really good germination. Someone told me there are usually problems with some species from koheres. Some advice to grow them?
ElieEstephane

Re: Problems germinating Gymnocalycium

Post by ElieEstephane »

I sowed fresh G. Baldianum seeds from my own plants and had terrible germination (10%) while i had 100% with G. Damsii. Although some people are reporting bad germination from koehres, the problem could be drom the species itself.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
RiseMoon

Post by RiseMoon »

elieestephane wrote:I sowed fresh G. Baldianum seeds from my own plants and had terrible germination (10%) while i had 100% with G. Damsii. Although some people are reporting bad germination from koehres, the problem could be drom the species itself.
It was a mix. I still have some so maybe i will try again. I told them the germination issues and they send me again some of the seeds I ordered and didnt grow, but with the new ones I had the same problem.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Don't throw them out. Let them dry and leave them for the winter and try again in spring
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
RiseMoon

Post by RiseMoon »

elieestephane wrote:Don't throw them out. Let them dry and leave them for the winter and try again in spring
I have them in the refrigerator, so i will try next year. Maybe with the cold they "wake up"