Oddball plant- Furcraea

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
stefan m.

Oddball plant- Furcraea

Post by stefan m. »

Next march ill try germination of furcraea-dont know what plant is for certain, but seller was reliable.
Ill need advice from any more experienced growers.
Also, i do not have a heated propagator, i improvise with pringles cans in a heated room.
esp_imaging

Re: Oddball plant- Furcraea

Post by esp_imaging »

Based on a quick google search, I don't think Furcraea are hard to germinate or grow.
I've grown Yucca, Agave and Manfreda from seed and they are all straightforward, and all need "normal" treatment, so I guess Furcaea will be the same.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

All right, will do.
Though i was hoping to find someone with more hands on experience.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

stefan m. wrote:i was hoping to find someone with more hands on experience.
I felt the same with the Manfreda seeds, there doesn't seem to be much experience with them from seed in Europe.
Maybe split them into 2 batches, so if batch 1 doesn't germinate, you can try to do something different with batch 2.
Based in the UK
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

I allready did that. Except the first time it didnt go so well because of poor growing conditions.
Luckily ive learned how to rectify that.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

esp_imaging wrote:Based on a quick google search, I don't think Furcraea are hard to germinate or grow.
I've grown Yucca, Agave and Manfreda from seed and they are all straightforward, and all need "normal" treatment, so I guess Furcaea will be the same.
Would you know of any reliable European agave seed suppliers?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Koehres have been great for cacti seeds. The also sell agave and manfreda, but yet to try and geminate,
the aloe,Dracaena and joshua tree is from this german seller on amazon called exotic plants. Also a saguaro and selenicereus.
Dasiliron and yucca baccata (france)were from e-bay, so were a bunch of other cacti , agave and aloe seeds. the rest from italy.
You know of any bromeliad seed seller in europe?
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

I've used both succseed.com (with a regularly updated seed list) and http://adblps-graines-cactus.com/ (seed list updated annually , the new list should be out in the next few weeks, I guess)
Based in the UK
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Neither sell neoregelia and aechmea and rare bromeliads as per my earlier post.
And after digging around found out that all cacti seed vendors have a very similar product range.
If you look up koehress youl lsee it has the same layout as sucsceed.com.
And im in macedonia, and dont want to wait a long time for seeds to arrive(geman and italian seeds take a week+ few days ), rest of europe take longer(spain 3 weeks), gb and us didnt even arrive
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Neither sell neoregelia and aechmea and rare bromeliads as per my earlier post.
And after digging around found out that all cacti seed vendors have a very similar product range.
If you look up koehress youl lsee it has the same layout as sucsceed.com.
And im in macedonia, and dont want to wait a long time for seeds to arrive(geman and italian seeds take a week+ few days ), rest of europe take longer(spain 3 weeks), gb and us didnt even arrive
Also they seem to be more expensive(1,05 for 20 seeds vs 0.9 euro for 25 seeds)