When to replant seedlings?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Andrew Farrell

When to replant seedlings?

Post by Andrew Farrell »

This year I planted some espostoa hylaea seeds in may and now have some nice good sized seedlings that I grew using the bag method. When do you think is a good idea to transfer them from the bag to an uncovered pot/planter? The largest is about half an inch tall, almost 3/4 an inch.
Attachments
EFDE96F4-A1DE-47DA-BB96-227A98F6E639.jpeg
EFDE96F4-A1DE-47DA-BB96-227A98F6E639.jpeg (227.89 KiB) Viewed 2890 times
7george

Re: When to replant seedlings?

Post by 7george »

Replant as soon as possible. This pot is too big for survivors and soil doesn't look good. They need more gritty mix.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, they're plenty big enough to handle the stress of transplanting, and you need to get them out of that stuff.
Spence :mrgreen:
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

Nicely done on the seedlings. The baggie method works well.

For future planting of seeds, I would recommend a grittier, much less organic mix from the start. This way you can leave the seedlings in their pot for 1-2 years allowing them to get very established before replanting. I have had great success with this method. I would also plant the seeds much more densely than you would think. I will put 30-50 seeds in a 90x90mm cup. Assuming 40-60% germination, that cup will be pretty dense with seedlings. I don't know why, but seedlings just seem to do better in close groups. Maybe if they're lonely that get depressed? :lol:

My seedlings typically stay in humidity contain domes/bags/whatever for the first 6 to 12 months. Rot is rarely an issue because I use basically sand with desert loam and clay chips. When they are 10-20mm I remove the dome and then water from the bottom for the next 6-12 months. Then they get transplanted out.
Andrew Farrell

Post by Andrew Farrell »

Is my soil mix really that bad? I just used the mix I use for my adults and they seemed to germinate and grow very quickly. My mature plants have a lot of perlite in there mix, but regardless they grew a lot last growing season making me think they like the mix? I’m new to the hobby so I’m having trouble understanding.
Andrew Farrell

Post by Andrew Farrell »

Also I would like to know how large of a pot to transplant these in to? I used a large strawberry tray when sowing my seeds, but the only pots I can buy around here are 4 inches. Should I go with a pot or try to find a seedling tray or something similar?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

A 4 inch pot would be too large for those, I'd put then all into a 3 inch pot. If you can't find one, a single-serving yogurt container (with drain holes cut) would work.
Spence :mrgreen:
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

I've used seedling trays before without any issue. One cactus per little cell with the soil containing about 50% perlite or other grit.