Dinteranthus vanzylii

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
keith

Dinteranthus vanzylii

Post by keith »

If your water this plant after it germinates it dies ? It seems to only sprout after a wet pots gets dry at the surface and then they sprout, tiny green dots in a dry pot. These have to be put under plastic and leave alone seedlings.
greenknight

Re: Dinteranthus vanzylii

Post by greenknight »

I haven't grown that species, only D microspermus ssp. puberulus, but culture is the same. I had poor results growing them under plastic, did much better growing them uncovered and giving them a light misting daily for the first couple weeks, gradually increasing the interval after that. Similar to what's described here - http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/SUCC ... s_vanzylii

The key is not to soak them, just dampen the surface. It's a delicate balance, they can't stand too much moisture or drying out completely in the early stages. Requires constant attention. Probably have to mist them more often in hot weather, I started them when it was mildly warm.

Seems iann does have success growing them under plastic, so it says here - http://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=128419 . Maybe I had them too wet. :-k
Spence :mrgreen:
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

The method described by Spence is the one I follow. I have had relative success with several mesembs genera. However,the two Dinteranthus species did not sprouted (all other genera sprouted). Maybe I should try re watering the pot again (?)
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Yes, definately retry Dinteranthus. I have had more success getting Dinteranthus to germinate after restarting the pots than I had at the first try. Allow the pots to dry after sowing in autumn, to retry in spring. Or the other way round, if you have first sowed in spring. I don't think it matter much if you sow in spring or autumn (just as long as you keep watering them throughout their first summer along with the summer active seedlings).
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Thanks for the tip Aiko. Otherwise I would have thrown away the pots. Never imagined one should try only in the next spring/autumn (and not a few weeks latter). And it is true that I had some mesembs volunteers in autumn (from seeds sowed in the spring before). It makes sense now.
Sorry for using your thread keith, hope this helps you too!
keith

Post by keith »

My 3 green blobs are still alive. Most of the Lithops seedlings are doing Ok growing much faster. I sowed Lithops seeds in the pot after the first Dinteranthus seedlings died. And then more sprouted and died and now 3 more are up and still alive. So don't throw your pot away .

They are under plastic here its warm over 80F I bottom watered a tiny amount and a day later the top sand looks wet but the Dinteranthus haven't died yet.

"Sorry for using your thread keith, hope this helps you too!" Post as much as you want I need the info :D
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

They do seem prone to delayed germination. I had a good flush of sprouting at first, then more kept popping up for months. Few of those that came up very late survived, since I wasn't misting so often any more. After a year, I've got 12 good size plants, and 4 much smaller ones. Many more appeared and then disappeared.
Spence :mrgreen:
keith

Post by keith »

Lithops are much faster growers than Dinteranthus, the small green blob is a Dinteranthus seedling next to a Lithop seedling which is a giant in comparison.

Lithop has the seed shell clinging to one of its leaves and right to the right is the Dinteranthus midget. keeping them on the dry side under plastic most of the time. There are 3 Dinteranthus seedlings left alive when I took the picture.
Attachments
Lithop and Dinteranthus
Lithop and Dinteranthus
Webp.net-compress-image (11).jpg (112.41 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
Lithops mostly
Lithops mostly
Webp.net-compress-image (10).jpg (135.69 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
keith

Post by keith »

The pot is being over run with Lithops seedlings. They keep germinating, they were my own plant I crossed with another white flowered one, wasn't even sure they would sprout. I think I have 2 Dinteranthus vanzylii left.
keith

Post by keith »

A couple dinteranthus seedlings still alive and seem to be growing. Most of the lithops died, I didn't water very much and it got very hot for a week.

I was afraid if I watered too much the dinteranthus would die , this seemed to happen when the first ones sprouted. the dinteranthus is the right most green blob, the other one is next to a lithop , mostly behind it from this angle. small small seedlings .
Attachments
Lithops and dinteranthus
Lithops and dinteranthus
img_3192 (1).jpg (130.92 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
keith

Post by keith »

I was able to keep the two seedling Dinteranthus vanzylii alive but the Lithops suffered due to lack of water only 3 made it out of maybe 50. I found if I watered too much the D. vanzylii would met away so I withheld water. Now they are big enough to be watered like normal succulent or cactus.

I'm trying Dinteranthus wilmotianus same thing tiny tiny green dots and when watered melt away. Its over 100F during the day now. hard not to water tiny seedlings you know. But these pictured are big enough to easily take the heat under shade cloth. I think ? Succulent from seed is new to me. They don't like to be as deeply shaded like cactus seedlings.

I also think this is a 50% sand mix in the pot which is unusual usually I use 70% small pumice. probably dries out really fast.
Attachments
Dinteranthus vanzylii and Lithops
Dinteranthus vanzylii and Lithops
Dineterius.jpg (103.13 KiB) Viewed 1158 times