Lithops seedlings light

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
mmcavall

Lithops seedlings light

Post by mmcavall »

Hi there,
New batch of Mesembs, several different genera, some are already sprouting. I'm pretty sure that they can take the slightly filtered sun rays they are taking, but I'm a bit worried about the Lithops and Fenestraria. I've read that they can boil if take direct sun.
I don't want to shade them too much, moreover considering that it is winter now and sun is not so strong.

Anyone has any experience to share?

thanks a lot!
greenknight

Re: Lithops seedlings light

Post by greenknight »

In your climate, you should be very cautious. From the seedling photos you've posted, I don't think you have to worry about them getting etiolated. I start mine in the same light as my cactus seedlings, that seems to be fine in the seedling stage. Later, if it looks like they need more light, gradually reduce the shading. Remember those early leaves are soon to be replaced anyway, if they don't have great color it's not a big deal.
Spence :mrgreen:
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Ok, Spence, thanks for your reply. Yes, overall my greenhouse is very well illuminated. As we enter summer, I have to add 3 layers of shade cloth over the young Mesembs (I did it last year). And my cactus seedlings are much more shaded than the Mesembs are (and some are redish), so maybe I could give the Mesembs a little more protection against strong sun. Thank you very much. I think it is better to start with some shade than start cooking the little plants, but I only see that now that you answered.
Gustavo Augusto Rosa

Post by Gustavo Augusto Rosa »

Good to read, so i need make more shade in my green house,soon my lithops are arriving!