Yeah Year 1 log

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Yeah1Yeah

Yeah Year 1 log

Post by Yeah1Yeah »

Howdy! :D
You guys are light-years ahead of me. I will try to keep up.
Here we go. No special equipment needed, maybe just better lighting and a new camera.

Opuntia (humifusa?) 12hr water bath, removed from container and placed onto dressing in gently heated room.. They deserve a spritz, they survived a whole winter in their packets. Wow I just counted a whole 50 seeds.

Trichocereus Pachanoi, Saguaro, Echinopsis or Echinocactus seedlings. 2 mos old From a few mixed packet. Sorry, no seed holding here.

Enjoying this
Yeah
Vipassana

Re: Yeah Year 1 log

Post by Vipassana »

Looking good. Once the bug had bitten, you'll be sowing any see you can get your hands on.

Where are you located?
Yeah1Yeah

Post by Yeah1Yeah »

Had a flat in Chicago now back at home 30 miles south east in Indiana zone 5 getting some sun lately :)
Yeah1Yeah

Post by Yeah1Yeah »

Success today in the Yeah household.
Eastern Prickly Pear, Opuntia Humifusa.
Sown in 100% rounded rocks that I collected.
Harvested a bunch of dried pods from last season at a local nursery and a few pads, too.
Yeah1Yeah

Post by Yeah1Yeah »

Since I last checked in I burned up some of my seedlings from a Ferry-morse packet I purchased. Since that was a bust, I ordered the $13.50 10 packs of 25 seeds at Cactusstore.com to get back on the road with a collection. I'm kind of glad they included Opuntia Engelmannii, so I now have two varieties. If anyone is interested I saved a few seeds from each and have a few stamps in you would like some.
Yeah1Yeah

Post by Yeah1Yeah »

I'm back! Since we are about to hit frost I found a lamp and new bulbs tucked in the corner of the garage. Someone isn't skimping on the lights either, I definitely did not find 5 more fixtures. These are t12 and the newest lamp we had tucked away. Very white compared to incandescent.
Learned really quick why the bag method is imporant, afterall. Some month old seedlings got some burn from full sun, and I think I maybe lost only one from cold-damp temperatures. The burn on the babies I think is alright once I brought them under the lights back in the bags.
I found these planters in the woods when I was foraging. Small 2inch 2x2 square planters. I only have 16.
Avocado seedling in the back, a very quick grower.
Cactusstore mix, not sure what these are yet. Very very poor germination rate on everything from them. This was 25 each seeds of 10 cactus, and I only got 4 types to sprout. I also ordered 3 other from them, T. Lophophoroides, Sulcorebutia arenacea and Coleocephalocereus goebelianus. I don't think any C. Goebelianus were viable, but then again I didn't label them and planted them all at once with an order from Mesa Garden, which all seemed to be fine. I have labels, just learning the rights and wrongs of planting cactus.
Opuntia Engelmannii, again cactus store 1 out of 10 germinated.
Just some random things here, one five-finger discount cuttings that have tripled in size, the Opuntia Humifusa Seedlings I planted earlier, and my graft showing new growth. Next season I got this

Thanks for your support!
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

Looking great!
Yeah1Yeah

Post by Yeah1Yeah »

Thank you! I just showed my mother the set and she approves. She would regret that I used some of her money to get this started, but she doesn't know that yet
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Don't you think the lamps are too far from the plants? :-k i place mine 12" at max above the plants. You are losing more than 80% of the power at that distance.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

Nice Mimosa pudica. They are interesting plants.
Yeah1Yeah

Post by Yeah1Yeah »

Is that what it is? I was looking for the telegraph plant and these came by mistake.