Six Months/One year/Two year Sow Report

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
mdpillet

Re: Six Months/One year/Two year Sow Report

Post by mdpillet »

Awesome! Sounds like it's the repotting, which isn't an option for me with the number of seedlings I have :(.
Robb

Post by Robb »

I love the progress of them! With plants as slow as cacti it's nice to be able to see things sped up a bit. Your E. micromeris seedlings look superb- I wish mine were as good as yours!
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
mikej

Post by mikej »

Very fun to see the changes in the various species over time. I find it interesting that none of the Stenocactus have ribs at 6 months, but develop them later. I may also have to try repotting my seedlings more regularly. :)
Armen Tsirunyan

Post by Armen Tsirunyan »

mikej wrote:Very fun to see the changes in the various species over time. I find it interesting that none of the Stenocactus have ribs at 6 months, but develop them later. I may also have to try repotting my seedlings more regularly. :)
Hi Mikej,

I had read somewhere that stenocactus seedlings develop their zigzaggy look when they are 2-4 years old. Indeed, although all my seedlings seem to have ribs of some sort at this point, but far from all of them have developed the "curves" yet.
Armen Tsirunyan

Post by Armen Tsirunyan »

Robb wrote:I love the progress of them! With plants as slow as cacti it's nice to be able to see things sped up a bit. Your E. micromeris seedlings look superb- I wish mine were as good as yours!
Thank you, Robb! Hope you mean it, because I was a little bit worried whether the E.micromeris seedlings looked anythere near healthy. They were so nice at 1 year - snow-white and geometrically perfect, but now they are brown-stained and many became mutants. We'll see in another couple of years :)
ahmedhm

Post by ahmedhm »

What soil contain?
keith

Post by keith »

I use diatomaceous earth with Epithelanthas. Yours look OK , not sure why they are growing clumps at the growing point of the plant? looks Like the growing point died and then started to grow back as a clump. happens to some of my baby cactus .

I don't use any organic for epithelanthas, candidas and lasicantha the other plants you have growing are fast in your mix while they will get stunted in mine.

Explains why they are the common ones found at common nurseries- they grow fast in regular potting mix. Sometimes I see candidas but usually always half rotted.

I don't really know what your mix is it looks a little organic and that's staining the epithelanthas spines but I could be wrong ? If you put the soil in water does it turn the water tea colored?
keith

Post by keith »

Except the turbinicapius they are not common , probably because they are miniatures no matter how you grow them. Yours look good to me.