Pseudolithos cubiformis sowing advices needed

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
mmcavall

Pseudolithos cubiformis sowing advices needed

Post by mmcavall »

I received some Pseudolithos cubiformis seeds and now I’m looking for advices for sowing and growing this plant.

Until now, I found in the Forums the following advices, for which I have the following doubts:

#1 Advice: “keep the seedlings well shaded, they must be protected from strong light”
How much shaded? The same as for cacti seedlings? Or more shaded?

#2 Advice: “never repot”
If this is true, what would be the adequate kind of pot? Do they like small pots or they have deep taproots?

Moreover, I would like to know if they like the baggy method, and if yes, for how many time they must be kept in closed, humid atmosphere.

Any other advice on temperatures, etc, would also be great.

Thanks all for any reply.
Aiko

Re: Pseudolithos cubiformis sowing advices needed

Post by Aiko »

Regarding #1, I would say yes, keep them as shaded as all seedlings under 1 year old, even after a few years of age. Even the sun intensity up here is not that strong, I have experience on multiple occasions different species of Pseudolithos (including M. migiurtinus and M. cubiformis) to burn on a warm sunny afternoon while all other seedlings are still perfectly well. I now keep all my remaining Pseudolithos well shaded until they are the size of a few centimeters.

#2, they don't have tap roots. Not even many roots at all, from my experience. So keep the pots shallow and small, so they will dry out fairly fast. The species is relatively rot prone, but not tremendously (although less than Larryleachia). I don't have good experience repotting small seedlings personally. Bigger plants not mucn of a problem. But then again, my climate is so much different than yours. As with Lithops, once seedlings start to die they seemingly like to take along their neighbours in the pots with them to plant heaven, and you can see them go one after the other.

Sowing via the baggy method works well for me. Just take them out as soon as you are happy with the germination rate. The germination rate should be relatively high, from my experience.

Keep plants warm in winter. Say at least 10C, higher is probably even better (safer). But keep watering them throughout the year, even if it is a little bit during winter (or whatever kind of 'winter' you might experience).
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Thank you very much, Aiko, this helped a lot!
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Aiko wrote: Sowing via the baggy method works well for me. Just take them out as soon as you are happy with the germination rate. The germination rate should be relatively high, from my experience.
After taking they out of the bag, should I let the soil dry a little before waterings, or it must be kept constantly humid, at least until they present the first true "leaves" (I mean, something analogue to true leaves)?

thanks again!
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

A little bit of drying out is not a problem. But that is with my climate, and in my greenhouse. They should not dry out too much if you keep them well away from too intense sunlight. They can even scorch and damp off up here.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Thanks Aiko, I've opened the pots yesterday night. But I'll not have to bother about the sun: today morning I discovered that a darn slug ate my two Pseudolithos seedlings...in the very first night I've opened the pots! ](*,) Apparently, slugs love tender Pseudolithos seedlings...
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Next time, maybe put the tray on some blocks to keep them a bit higher, and put the blocks in a tray with a layer of water. That should keep your seedlings safe from slugs assuming these land crawlers are no swimmers. Or maybe put some salt around the blocks?

Maybe you will be lucky some more seeds will germinate. I have seen that happen, that more germinate in the same pot long after the first ones did.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Thanks Aiko.
The idea of a barrier of water is very good.
Also, I'll keep the pots, maye use them with new seeds (of other species) and thus give a chance to the other 3 seeds (of the five sowed) to sprout.
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I have one Pseudolithos migiurtinus that produced about thirty seeds this year. I planted the seeds and seven seeds have germinated. I had seeds from this plant before, but all of the seedlings died within two weeks. What recommendations are there for better results. The seedlings are grown in a seed germinator under a covered patio. I live in Los Angeles and can use a heating mat in the winter time. The lowest winter temperature is around 45F.