How long are seeds viable?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Grimm

How long are seeds viable?

Post by Grimm »

I found a pack of seeds at the back of a drawer, with Pelecyphora valdeziana, Trichocereus peruvianus and Parodia sanguiniflora in it. They are about four years old, so I figured they are probably dead, but gave them a chance anyway. Two weeks on and still nothing, no sign of germination, am I right in thinking they are definitely dead?
Aiko

Re: How long are seeds viable?

Post by Aiko »

I would think not, although much time being passed does not help getting the germination rate up for these species. But still I think some probably could still be viable.

And two weeks is not much time. Even if your conditions are right (and maybe they are not).
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Some species' seeds lose viability quickly, but others may remain viable for many years. Some actually need to age a few years before they'll sprout - not those species, though.

Aiko is right - two weeks isn't nearly long enough to tell.
Spence :mrgreen:
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

Thanks for the advice, I gave it a bit longer, and removed some of the gravel from over the seeds (I put too much on) and got this:
Attachments
DSC_2395a.jpg
DSC_2395a.jpg (66.96 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

So I now have four Trich seedlings, but none of the others. There were probably about 10-20 seeds in each pack. Do they need a higher temperature? I know it's not the best time of the year to be growing....

They are in sterilised multipurpose compost with perlite (I know this will cause problems later on), with half plastic bottles fitted into the tops of the pots to hold the humidity. I have no algae or mould. The pots have filtered sunlight (windowsill with net curtain). I didn't flatten off the top of the compost, so may have lost some seeds down gaps, especially the Parodia seeds that were very small. The seeds were sown directly onto the compost, then gravel was put over, but then I realised the gravel was too large/thick and removed most of it (I may have lost some seeds when I did this. Overall is a bit of a mess :lol:

In the meantime I have sown some variegated astrophytum asterias seeds (sent free with some cacti) in another pot, with better preparation, and have one sprout so far :D
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

Five Trichs sprouted in the end. They're doing well, and have been transplanted into better soil (mostly gravel, some sieved John Innes, although it looks more soiley in the photos)