Mammillaria bertholdii from seeds - tips

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Jenya

Mammillaria bertholdii from seeds - tips

Post by Jenya »

I soon will become an owner of M. bertholdii seeds - my mammillaria has several fruits.
In this case I'd like to start the topic where we can share personal experience on growing this beautiful mammillaria from seeds.
Anyone? :D
Aiko

Re: Mammillaria bertholdii from seeds - tips

Post by Aiko »

Jenya wrote:I soon will become an owner of M. bertholdii seeds - my mammillaria has several fruits.
In this case I'd like to start the topic where we can share personal experience on growing this beautiful mammillaria from seeds.
Anyone? :D
I think hardly anyone up here has had their hands on Mammillaria bertholdii seeds. If you have enough to spare, I would be happy to swap some with you for anything on my free / swap seeds list: http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... ds#p324660" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

As this Mammillaria is cryptocarpic, I think you should expect the seeds to better germinate when they are old(er). So if you sow now, it could take several restarts for them to finally germinate if not now than maybe in a few years' time.
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

Are they difficult plants? A quick image search show pretty much all of them being grafted.
Jenya

Post by Jenya »

Well, hope I'll have enough seeds to experiment with. Cause I've heard there's almost 0% germination without scarification. Even with it's near 20-30%.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

From what I've read, Aiko is correct, the seeds germinate better after they've aged.
Spence :mrgreen:
Jenya

Post by Jenya »

Well, talking about me, I don't have so much patience to wait several years. LOL
I had a positive experience this year with fresh seeds of M. saboae group- especially roczekii; also theresae and deherdiana.
And there're some good results from cacti lovers I know.
Jenya

Post by Jenya »

My precious! :cheers:
27 seeds.
Now I put them into fridge for 1 week at least.
And the first portion will be drained :lol: and scarified.
The rest, well, the rest will be resting :D
Attachments
20170226_115140.jpg
20170226_115140.jpg (53.39 KiB) Viewed 5283 times
Fatich

Post by Fatich »

Any update?
Jenya

Post by Jenya »

Yes. Unfortunately (or lucky me) only 5 seedlings from 27 seeds.
6 months passed after germination.
First of all, they are very very slow. They are 6 months now and still very very small.
I tried different techniques - more water, less water; more light, less light - but that doesn't change much.
In brighter light the seedlings tends to become more reddish. So I shade them a little. I grow them under LED light with full spectrum 50W - pretty bright one.
So during winter I will keep them in the same conditions. Hope they will grow faster after all.

If anyone has their own tips, I would appreciate them.
Attachments
Mammillaria bertholdii seedlings
Mammillaria bertholdii seedlings
20170919_105920.jpg (99.06 KiB) Viewed 4464 times
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I don't think many will have experience with them yet. Some that have tried have just gone through the phase of grafting them, so probably even less experience growing them on their own roots. I will only try to grow them myself when the seeds are more easy to obtain. Should not take long, as I already have seen many grafted plants on sale a month ago in a succulent fair in Belgium. Some of those where already flowering, even though still small, about one or one and a half centimeter. Maybe next year or the year after that seeds will become easier / cheaper to obtain in Europe.
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

No more difficult than M. theresae in my opinion! Much more beautiful grown hard on own root.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

mdpillet wrote:No more difficult than M. theresae in my opinion! Much more beautiful grown hard on own root.
Have you tried it already?
Jenya

Post by Jenya »

Actually, I sowed M. theresae last year, and might say it's faster. Even M.goldii is much faster than bertholdii.
But as always with grandiflorae group you have to watch carefully as they prone to die suddenly. I lost nice 1.5 year old goldii, and barely saved, grafting, M. deherdiana.
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

Aiko wrote:
mdpillet wrote:No more difficult than M. theresae in my opinion! Much more beautiful grown hard on own root.
Yes, someone in town has two grafted clones which have been heavily propagated already. I degrafted mine and rooted them. New growth is now much less bloated. I hope to have seed next year.
Fatich

Post by Fatich »

Aiko wrote:
I ve also tried theresae but couldnt manage to germinate them.
But last year i managed to germinate some luethyi seeds.
I talked with a japanese guy on instagram, he sowed 60 bertholdii seeds and only 2 of them germinated, he said the seeds are from his own plants.