Learning to Grow from Seed

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Vipassana

Learning to Grow from Seed

Post by Vipassana »

I grew up around cactus and succulents in southern Arizona, but always propagated species through cuttings, offsets, or finding random seedlings that came up in the yard. I recently took an interest in growing from seed, first with Adeniums, but then with Fouquieria columnaris and spreading to many other species. I am trying a variety of methods/setups so if you have any suggestions, please let me know. I joining the propagation education group at the local C&S society which will continue to help with my learning (and collection :lol: ).

Here are some of my trials in no particular order:

Ferocactus wislizeni - Planted 11/25/15, Shown 01/17/16
These seeds were harvested myself and planted within 1 month of harvest. I had very little success with 2 seedlings out of ~30-40 seeds. Desert sand with a bit of sifted organic media, covered cup method, window sill. First germination at ~14 days. I am thinking I will try scarification on the next batch. I've heard heat (~85-90°F)helps these as well?

Hesperaloe pariflora - Planted 11/15/15, Shown 01/17/16
These seeds were harvested myself and planted 1-1.5 years after harvest. ~50% germination rate, desert sand medium, covered cup method, window sill. First germination in ~3-4 days.

Pachypodium lamerii - Planted , Shown 01/17/16
Age/origin of seed unknown. ~10% germination rate (dismal). Fast draining, organic/pearlite mix (my Adenium mix that works great), covered cup method, covered at ~0.25-0.5" depth, under grow lights, seeds soaked for 24 hours before planting. I dug up a few of the seeds and found that they had rotted or never sprouted in the first place. I will try treating the seeds for mold prior to planting on the next batch. I will also try a more sandy media with less organic material.

Aloe longistyla - Planted , Shown 01/17/16
Fresh 2015 harvested seed. ~75% germination rate, but only ~50% are thriving. Desert sand with a bit of sifted organic media, covered cup method, window sill. First up in ~5 days. Very fast to grow with a sharp leveling off after ~30 days.

Cereus peruvianus v. monstrous - Planted , Shown 01/17/16
These seeds were harvested myself from a plant with very neat form and planted within 1 month of harvest. First up in 2 days (!). ~95-100% germination. Desert sand with a bit of sifted organic media, covered cup method, window sill. Very fast to grow.

Agave toumayana bella - Planted 01/03/16, Shown 01/17/16
Fresh 2015 harvested seed. ~80% germination rate, desert sand medium, covered cup method, grow light. First germination in ~3-4 days.

Aloe marlothii - Planted 01/03/16, Shown 01/17/16
Fresh 2015 harvested seed. ~50% germination rate, desert sand medium, covered cup method, grow light. First germination in ~5 days.

Echinocactus grusonii - Planted 11/25/15, Shown 01/17/16
These seeds were harvested myself and planted within 1 month of harvest. I had very little success with 6 seedlings out of ~25 seeds. Desert sand, covered cup method, window sill. First germination at ~14 days. I am thinking I will try scarification on the next batch.

Pachycereus pringlei - Planted 01/03/2016, Shown 01/17/16
Age/origin of seed unknown. First up in 2 days (!). 100% germination. Desert sand with a bit of sifted organic media, covered container method, grow light. Very fast to grow. I planted them way too dense given their size. I'd call these seedlings rewarding.

This one has 3 cotyledons, which seems unusual:

Graptopetalum rusbyi - Planted 01/03/2016, Shown 01/17/16
Age/origin of seed unknown. First up in 3-4 days. Strong germination. Desert sand with a bit of sifted organic media, covered container method, grow light.

Gymnocalycium hybrid - Planted 01/03/2016, Shown 01/17/16
Fresh seed from keithp2012 (thanks!) First up in 3-4 days. Strong germination. Desert sand with a bit of sifted organic media, covered container method, grow light.
esp_imaging

Re: Learning to Grow from Seed

Post by esp_imaging »

I think the species you have tried should be easy to germinate. They won't need scarification.

Assuming you seed are good (which may not be the case), I think the poor germination of the Echnocactus and Ferocactus will be mostly down to it being too cool - these do like heat to sprout.
Sowing in spring or early summer would be better if you aren't able to provide winter heat.

I'd be patient with the pots you have sown - keep them fairly moist, or re-wet them and as it gets warmier in spring and you will probably get more germination.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
iann

Post by iann »

Your basic technique is obviously sound. You could try varying temperatures, higher or lower, but also more or less variation between day and night. Also the age of the seed can be important. Some species will germinate well as soon as the fruit ripens, others not so good for a year or more afterwards.
--ian
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

Thank you for the advice. It's good to know I'm on the right track. I will do some experimentation with temperatures and give the existing pots some time as well.
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

Vipassana wrote:I grew up around cactus and succulents in southern Arizona, but always propagated species through cuttings, offsets, or finding random seedlings that came up in the yard. I recently took an interest in growing from seed, first with Adeniums, but then with Fouquieria columnaris and spreading to many other species. I am trying a variety of methods/setups so if you have any suggestions, please let me know. I joining the propagation education group at the local C&S society which will continue to help with my learning (and collection :lol: ).

Here are some of my trials in no particular order:

Ferocactus wislizeni - Planted 11/25/15, Shown 01/17/16
These seeds were harvested myself and planted within 1 month of harvest. I had very little success with 2 seedlings out of ~30-40 seeds. Desert sand with a bit of sifted organic media, covered cup method, window sill. First germination at ~14 days. I am thinking I will try scarification on the next batch. I've heard heat (~85-90°F)helps these as well?

Hesperaloe pariflora - Planted 11/15/15, Shown 01/17/16
These seeds were harvested myself and planted 1-1.5 years after harvest. ~50% germination rate, desert sand medium, covered cup method, window sill. First germination in ~3-4 days.

Pachypodium lamerii - Planted , Shown 01/17/16
Age/origin of seed unknown. ~10% germination rate (dismal). Fast draining, organic/pearlite mix (my Adenium mix that works great), covered cup method, covered at ~0.25-0.5" depth, under grow lights, seeds soaked for 24 hours before planting. I dug up a few of the seeds and found that they had rotted or never sprouted in the first place. I will try treating the seeds for mold prior to planting on the next batch. I will also try a more sandy media with less organic material.

Aloe longistyla - Planted , Shown 01/17/16
Fresh 2015 harvested seed. ~75% germination rate, but only ~50% are thriving. Desert sand with a bit of sifted organic media, covered cup method, window sill. First up in ~5 days. Very fast to grow with a sharp leveling off after ~30 days.

Cereus peruvianus v. monstrous - Planted , Shown 01/17/16
These seeds were harvested myself from a plant with very neat form and planted within 1 month of harvest. First up in 2 days (!). ~95-100% germination. Desert sand with a bit of sifted organic media, covered cup method, window sill. Very fast to grow.

Agave toumayana bella - Planted 01/03/16, Shown 01/17/16
Fresh 2015 harvested seed. ~80% germination rate, desert sand medium, covered cup method, grow light. First germination in ~3-4 days.

Aloe marlothii - Planted 01/03/16, Shown 01/17/16
Fresh 2015 harvested seed. ~50% germination rate, desert sand medium, covered cup method, grow light. First germination in ~5 days.

Echinocactus grusonii - Planted 11/25/15, Shown 01/17/16
These seeds were harvested myself and planted within 1 month of harvest. I had very little success with 6 seedlings out of ~25 seeds. Desert sand, covered cup method, window sill. First germination at ~14 days. I am thinking I will try scarification on the next batch.

Pachycereus pringlei - Planted 01/03/2016, Shown 01/17/16
Age/origin of seed unknown. First up in 2 days (!). 100% germination. Desert sand with a bit of sifted organic media, covered container method, grow light. Very fast to grow. I planted them way too dense given their size. I'd call these seedlings rewarding.

This one has 3 cotyledons, which seems unusual:

Graptopetalum rusbyi - Planted 01/03/2016, Shown 01/17/16
Age/origin of seed unknown. First up in 3-4 days. Strong germination. Desert sand with a bit of sifted organic media, covered container method, grow light.

Gymnocalycium hybrid - Planted 01/03/2016, Shown 01/17/16
Fresh seed from keithp2012 (thanks!) First up in 3-4 days. Strong germination. Desert sand with a bit of sifted organic media, covered container method, grow light.
The hybrid babies look so cute! Keep me updated, can't wait to see the colors they will get!
lamonsta

Post by lamonsta »

Very nice work. Raising seedlings is fun but often difficult. Every little thing needs to be right all of the time. I went from one problem to the next with my first year of seedlings. Now I see what I did wrong and mostly keep them happy. It is to me the most rewarding part of the cactus world, raising them from seed. Again, great job on your collection.
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

A few random update photos:

Ferocactus wislizeni - Planted 11/25/15, Shown 03/15/16

Cereus peruvianus v. monstrous - Planted 11/27/2015, Shown 03/15/16
These have been exciting to watch. Two look crested, several look to be of the monstrous structure (random spine locations), while still others have 4/5/6 straight flutes of spines. These all came from the same plant and the same two fruit off that plant.

Agave toumayana bella - Planted 01/03/16, Shown 03/15/16

Aloe marlothii - Planted 01/03/16, Shown 03/15/16

Echinocactus grusonii - Planted 11/25/15, Shown 03/15/16

Aloe longistyla - Planted 01/03/2016, Shown 03/15/16

A bonus picture of my Adenium thunderdome... Mostly A. obesum hybrids and A. arabicum ranging from 4 months to 1 year in age.
Last edited by Vipassana on Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

Any update on the seedlings from what I sent?
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

Funny you should post this, I was just thinking about posting an update for you and took some pictures yesterday. The Gymnocalycium seedlings are doing well. I've moved them out of the grow tent and under some standard T5 florescent bulbs. I think the grow LEDs were a bit too intense for some of the other seedling types; I was starting to get some reddening.

keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

Vipassana wrote:Funny you should post this, I was just thinking about posting an update for you and took some pictures yesterday. The Gymnocalycium seedlings are doing well. I've moved them out of the grow tent and under some standard T5 florescent bulbs. I think the grow LEDs were a bit too intense for some of the other seedling types; I was starting to get some reddening.

The gymno hybrid grew so fast! :O I guess they are looking more like "dad aka pollen parent" because "mom aka who grew the seed" was deep purple with neon pink stripes. Mabye with time they might gain more color?
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

Vipassana wrote:Funny you should post this, I was just thinking about posting an update for you and took some pictures yesterday. The Gymnocalycium seedlings are doing well. I've moved them out of the grow tent and under some standard T5 florescent bulbs. I think the grow LEDs were a bit too intense for some of the other seedling types; I was starting to get some reddening.

Did the gymno seedlings gain any color yet?
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

A couple are maybe a bit darker, but they are largely still lime green. Their growth has slowed down greatly, however, do to this crazy heat waves we're having here.
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

Vipassana wrote:A couple are maybe a bit darker, but they are largely still lime green. Their growth has slowed down greatly, however, do to this crazy heat waves we're having here.
Very interesting! Once they grow more I think they should gain more color.
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

In no particular order, I have some updates to my foray into growing from seed.

Cleistocactus strausii - Planted 03/03/2016, Shown 05/13/2016, Bag Method, Desert Loam/Sand soil.

Cleistocactus laniceps - Planted 03/03/2016, Shown 05/13/2016, Bag Method, Desert Loam/Sand soil.

Pachycereus pringlei - Planted 01/03/2016, Shown 05/13/2016, Desert Loam/Sand soil.

This was my setup in my backyard shed for the summer. Unfortunately, it was well over 130° in there on several days and it was very hard on some of the non-native species. I fear many of the seedlings were stunted as a result of those brutal 2.5 months.

Gymnocalycium hybrid - Planted 01/03/2016, Shown 05/13/2016, Desert Loam/Sand soil w/ organic top dressing.
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

They all look fantastic!