Learning to Grow from Seed

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Vipassana

Re: Learning to Grow from Seed

Post by Vipassana »

Some updates on seeds sown 09/xx/2016 & 10/xx/2016:

There are several Gymnocalyciums, Mangave "bloodspot", Faucaria, Echinocereus viridiflorus, Fouquieria columnaris, Rhipsalis, etc.

Gymnocalycium stellatum, G. schickendantzii, G. bodenbenderianum, & G. hybrid:

Some of my older repotted seedlings. Gymnocalycium hybrid, Submatucana sp. mix, Cliestocactus sp., & Ferocactus wislizeni. The F. wislizeni seem to be sick and are dying off for reasons unknown.
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

Various other seedlings planted 09/xx/2016 & 04/xx/2016. Echinocactus, Ferocactus, & Astrophytum mostly.

Some Leuchtenbergia principis sown 02/10/2017:
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

I've also transitioned some of the faster growing seedlings to individual pots and put them outside. These guys are going nuts with the warmer weather.

Pachycereus pringlei, Cliestocactus strausii, Cereus peruvianus, Echinocactus grusonii, & a few others.
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

I put together a presentation for the Propagation Education Group, an offshoot of our cactus and succulent club, Central Arizona Cactus and Succulent Society. Unfortunately, not many people were able to show up. I'm always hoping to get a few more people into seed growing.

I brought some of my plants, soil samples, and supplies for those that wanted to try growing from seed.

I also got my 2017 Mesa Garden seed order last week. Nothing too wild, but some random ones I've been wanting for a bit.

Robb

Post by Robb »

Let me know how your Turbinicarpus krainzianus minimus seeds do, please. I sowed the same ones from mesa garden about a year ago and go zero germination. It's a shame it's taking so long for them to get the cites permits; I would like to try this form again.
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

They all look great! You have a Noah's ark of cacti :)
mikej

Post by mikej »

Nice seedlings. It also looks like you'll be busy with all the new seeds. Do you have a system for planting so many without taking forever?

(Also, just curious, when did you order? I'm currently waiting on an order from Mesa Garden and wondering where​ they are in their backlog. :) )
Mauryra

Post by Mauryra »

I have some Echinomasutus johnsonii that the fruit are just opening up on. Should I wait till Spring to germinate?
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

My apologies for the late replies!
Robb wrote:Let me know how your Turbinicarpus krainzianus minimus seeds do, please. I sowed the same ones from mesa garden about a year ago and go zero germination. It's a shame it's taking so long for them to get the cites permits; I would like to try this form again.
I will post them up when I get them sown. Unfortunately, I'm way behind on my planting. I did ~26 species (from MG and elsewhere) last week, but have easily double that to go. Space under my grow lights is also becoming an issue, but with the outside temperature nearing 50°C now, it is simply too hot to start most outdoors.

I have been told the Turbinicarpus are very slow and as a result grafting them might be preferable to get a plant of good size in a short time. I had planted some Turbinicarpus valdezianus over a year ago and they were very slow growing; unfortunately I forgot about them on the window sill of my outdoor shed and they dried out and died.
keithp2012 wrote:They all look great! You have a Noah's ark of cacti :)
I have too many seedlings. Repotting them is going to be a full time job here soon and finding space for them all will be a struggle. I'll probably need to find homes for them with members here or at the local cactus and succulent club. Maybe I will sell some on eBay to cover costs.

The last group of ~60 Pachycereus pringlei seedlings took a couple of hours and my back was killing me when I finished. I have plans to build a standing planting table this fall to help with this chore.
mikej wrote:Nice seedlings. It also looks like you'll be busy with all the new seeds. Do you have a system for planting so many without taking forever?

(Also, just curious, when did you order? I'm currently waiting on an order from Mesa Garden and wondering where​ they are in their backlog. :) )
Yes, very busy with the planting. And I have a new baby as well as a new job, both which take much of my time. I have no good methods for quickly sowing seeds except that I often make large batch plantings at once. It usually takes me about 3 hours total to plant ~18 species (one 10x20 tray with 18 3.5" cups).

I was VERY shocked with how fast my MG order came. I ordered early May and got my order in about 3 weeks. Maybe a bit less. I only ordered seeds. I've spoken with many others who ordered plants as well and those orders have taken much longer. My last order from them was a couple years ago and it took probably 2 months.
Mauryra wrote:I have some Echinomasutus johnsonii that the fruit are just opening up on. Should I wait till Spring to germinate?
I do not know what is the best advice. Many people have told me that they get better results with germination certain times during the year. Since I grow my seeds indoors, I don't see much of an effect. My house is always between 20°C to 27°C and when it's closer to 20°, I will use a heat mat to bring the trays up to ~27°-30°C.
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

Any photo update of the gymno hybrid seedlings I sent you? I’m growing them for myself finally and they grow quick!
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

keithp2012 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:58 am Any photo update of the gymno hybrid seedlings I sent you? I’m growing them for myself finally and they grow quick!
Hello Keith! Yes, please see some photos in the link below. They do grow fast! I have several spitting open 2.5" pots. They bloom incessantly too! They started flowering in May and haven't stopped. They are the pride and joy of my seed grown plant collection. I'll take any more seed if you get some. I've started to cross pollinate some myself with other plants in my collection.

Let me know if you need me to mail you a couple back.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RFGqUnJCqR7mdcz89

Do you remember the parents on these plants? I recently ordered some LB2178 Aqua Dulce see from the Ukraine. Very curious to see those grow. I also got some see from a grower in Thailand from plants with red/yellow variation.

Look what you started with the simple gift of free seed. Thank you.
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

Vipassana wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:49 pm
keithp2012 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:58 am Any photo update of the gymno hybrid seedlings I sent you? I’m growing them for myself finally and they grow quick!
Hello Keith! Yes, please see some photos in the link below. They do grow fast! I have several spitting open 2.5" pots. They bloom incessantly too! They started flowering in May and haven't stopped. They are the pride and joy of my seed grown plant collection. I'll take any more seed if you get some. I've started to cross pollinate some myself with other plants in my collection.

Let me know if you need me to mail you a couple back.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RFGqUnJCqR7mdcz89

Do you remember the parents on these plants? I recently ordered some LB2178 Aqua Dulce see from the Ukraine. Very curious to see those grow. I also got some see from a grower in Thailand from plants with red/yellow variation.

Look what you started with the simple gift of free seed. Thank you.

WOW!!!! I cannot believe they are the same little babies! You’ve done such a great job raising them, I’m glad you want to use them for future experiments! 😊 Did you get any colorful variegated ones, I see one or two that look black almost and I’m surprised the flowers are pink 😎. Both parents were G. Mihanovichii, one green with white flowers from Italy, the other purple/pink with pink flowers. I grew some seed from this batch and got mostly green and one or two dull purple, but got one variegated with white and pink I’m keeping for future breeding.

I did just cross the green parent of these with a purple G.damsii I can send some seeds to you ☺️. I need your address again when you get a chance.
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

keithp2012 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:45 am

WOW!!!! I cannot believe they are the same little babies! You’ve done such a great job raising them, I’m glad you want to use them for future experiments! 😊 Did you get any colorful variegated ones, I see one or two that look black almost and I’m surprised the flowers are pink 😎. Both parents were G. Mihanovichii, one green with white flowers from Italy, the other purple/pink with pink flowers. I grew some seed from this batch and got mostly green and one or two dull purple, but got one variegated with white and pink I’m keeping for future breeding.

I did just cross the green parent of these with a purple G.damsii I can send some seeds to you ☺️. I need your address again when you get a chance.
Unfortunately nothing that is red/pink/orange/yellow in coloring on this round. But some of the seeds I got from a grower in Thailand seem to have red spots, though they are still about the size of a pencil eraser so they have a lot of growing to do before I can see a true manifestation of the color.

You are right, most of mine are green or dull purple or a banded combination of the two. Though the ones that get a bit more light than the others seem to be darker/more redish than the ones that get less light. But that's pretty common when you stress a Mihanovichii in my limited experience.

If any of my variegated little ones have nice manifestation in 2-3 years, I'll send one your way for breeding.

Thanks for the offer of seeds! I'll Private Message you my address.