Growing Cyphostemma from seed

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Mark

Growing Cyphostemma from seed

Post by Mark »

Hello! Does anyone have any information regarding growing Cyphostemma from seed?

I am getting some seed from a friend and would appreciate any tips. I read that older seed germinates better. Is that correct? Should I save some seed for a year and then try with that ?

I will be receiving C.currorii and C. juttae.

Thanks !

Mark
greenknight

Re: Growing Cyphostemma from seed

Post by greenknight »

No experience with them myself, but I found some interesting information. Most sources recommend aging, then scarification (abrasion) of the seed. However, I found a post from someone who had a lot of the seed and tested all the different seed treatments. Nothing made any difference, there was 50% - 80% germination whether it was aged or treated or not.
Spence :mrgreen:
Tony

Post by Tony »

I have sowed a few fresh seeds from my C. Juttae on several occasions with no luck at all. :-k
I don't know if I failed because my seed was not viable or it if was just to fresh.
Good luck, Mark and let us know how they do. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Mark wrote: I am getting some seed from a friend and would appreciate any tips. [...]

I will be receiving C.currorii and C. juttae.
Sounds like we have the same friend!

I only have once tried to sow some Cyphostemma juttae seed (one seed, not multiple). No luck. And I know it is notorious when it comes to sowing...
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the tips!

greenknight-- I think i saw that same post. I am going to try all the tips. lol

Tony-- I sure will keep everyone updated. 8) I plan on getting some plants anyways but I wanted to try some seed.

Aiko- Yes we do have the same friend! I'm still waiting for the seed to get here. He told me the mail was very slow in Africa.

Mark
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

One of the members of my local cactus and succulent society produces them commercially and has gigantic plants growing in his yard. I'll try to remember to ask him how he germinates the seeds when I see him at the next meeting.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Mark

Post by Mark »

Sweet! Thanks Saxicola! :D

Mark
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Mark wrote:Aiko- Yes we do have the same friend! I'm still waiting for the seed to get here. He told me the mail was very slow in Africa.
It took about two weeks from Namibia to the Netherlands before. Not that bad, really. Same as mail from China, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. But now I will be getting the same seeds via Italy, if all is right. Should take just a few days. I will be updating my free seed / seed swap list as soon as I get them in. So everyone interested can contact me then.
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I have grown about twenty-five Cyphostemma juttae plants from seed. I planted about 150 seeds and germinated twenty-five plants last year. The year before I only germinated one plant from 150 seeds. I spoke to a Cyphostemma grower and she said that there have been studies about germination rates and sometimes you have good germination and sometimes you have zero germination. The seeds can be planted with or without skin and the results are similar.
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I have a C. juttae that was grown from a small seedling into a large plant that is four feet tall and fifteen inches in diameter.