Advices request for sowing some (winter active) species

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Aiko

Advices request for sowing some (winter active) species

Post by Aiko »

I will be trying to sow a few species for the first time (or as a second chance). I am a bit doubtful at how and what time to sow the following species. Can anyone with experience on these species give me some pointers?

I will be sowing in an unheated greenhouse, and I don't use additional lighting. I live in the Netherlands, so I am in a moderate cold climate. Temperatures in February and March are between freezing and about 10C / 50F during the day. In April we usually get the first warm days up to 20C / 70F (but still cold nights...). In March I usually sow my winter active mesembs, and they do fine with that. In April I usually sow all my cacti. No problems with that too. The only species I sow in autumn is Diplosoma, since sowing in March does not get them through the summer.

But for following species I am a bit uncertain if I should go for March (early spring) when it is still relatively cold, April (mid spring) when it is relatively warm during the day and cold at night, or September (mid autumn) when it is relatively warm during the day and night.

1 - Different Tylecodon species (T. pygmaea, T. reticulata, T. paniculata. T. nolteei)
I have tried Tylecodon species before, sowing at low temperatures at the end of March, along with Haworthia and mesembs. Theoretically should be fine, but haven't had success last year with Tylecodon paniculata. Could have been the seeds, could have been me.

2 - Pelargonium appendiculatum
Haven't tried this one at all yet. Some odd looking seeds. Does it matter much if I sow the seeds with or without the twirly ends?

3 - Different Bulbine species (B. haworthioides, B. margarethae, B. praemorsa, B. bruynsii)
Not much experience sowing Bulbine, and not much luck with that just yet. I assume it can me sown late March along with Haworthia and mesembs. Would like confirmation. Or best sown in autumn?

4 - Different Massonia species (M. depressa, M. pustulata and M. echinata)
Same goes for Massonia. Sowing in early spring in March at relatively cold conditions, or better wait for autumn?

5 - Different Othonna species (O. lepidocaulis, O. sonchifolia, O. protecta, O. macrosperma)
First try at Othonnas. I know they have a bad name when it comes to germination rates. Yet again I assume early spring to be a good time to sow. Or would they prefer it a bit warmer, and better to sow them along with cacti in warmer April?

6 - Yavia cryptocarpa
Probably just fine in April, along with other cacti.

7 - Welwitschia mirabilis
I know this one should come with an instruction manual. No repotting for the first few years. Check. So one is better off sowing them in a big pot. What is a big pot? I have read in one article to sow them in 30 centimeter deep pots. Seems a bit excessive, after having seen seedlings in a 15 centimeter pot too. But then again, I assume it is not a problem to sow all the seeds in one pot, instead of separate pots for each seed?

8 - Drimia uniflora
Probably just fine in April. Or better a bit earlier with cooler temperatures in March along with mesembs and Haworthias?

9 - Idria columnaris / Fouquieria columnaris
Haven't had any success last year. The seeds rotted before my eyes when I sowed them last April. Could have been unlucky, could have been my fault.
Aiko

Re: Advices request for sowing some (winter active) species

Post by Aiko »

After looking around for advice, I am planning on sowing Othonna this weekend, unless someone advices me to not do this and wait for cooler temperatures in autumn.

Rest will follow later this month, when temperatures are a bit higher.

(Would still love to get some pointers from anyone with experience sowing the above species in a cold climate...!)
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I have sown all my Othonna and Bulbine seeds this afernoon. If sowing this early in March is good or bad does not matter now. I will be learning something from own experience anyway. Some of the Othonna species have fluffy seeds. I removed most of them, to see if that would be a plus or a minus for germination and fungus control.

But some directions on sowing Tylecodon and Massonia would be very much appreciated! There must be someone out there in a moderate cold climate that has Tylecodon sowing experience?
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote: 3 - Different Bulbine species (B. haworthioides, B. margarethae, B. praemorsa, B. bruynsii)
Not much experience sowing Bulbine, and not much luck with that just yet. I assume it can me sown late March along with Haworthia and mesembs. Would like confirmation. Or best sown in autumn?

5 - Different Othonna species (O. lepidocaulis, O. sonchifolia, O. protecta, O. macrosperma)
First try at Othonnas. I know they have a bad name when it comes to germination rates. Yet again I assume early spring to be a good time to sow. Or would they prefer it a bit warmer, and better to sow them along with cacti in warmer April?
I have sown all of these, and after three weeks only Othonna sonchifolia has germinated (five out of five!). It's the only Othonna with fluffy ends on the seeds that I have sown with the fluffy ends. Of the others I had removed the fluffy ends. I wonder if this might have made a difference...

All other species have not yet germinated.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I am looking for some more sowing advice. This time I am looking for advice on sowing Yucca, especially the following hardy species:
Yucca elata
Yucca schidigera
Yucca schottii
Yucca torreyi

I always sow in an unheated greenhouse. I have two distinct timings of sowing, which serves me very well for most species. In late March I sow mesembs and Haworthia. Late April I sow all cacti and the heath loving African species like Pachypodium and such. (Well, I also have a third timing, late August, for extreme winter active species like Diplosoma)

Will Yucca germinate best in late March along with mesembs and Haworthias, or better save them for late April when both the night time and day time temperatures are higher?

I have the same question for Peperomia monticola and Rauhia peruviana. Also a bit of a doubt for me what would be best. Late March or late April?
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Too bad no one can give me some advice, especially on Peperomia monticola and Rauhia peruviana.
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

Aiko wrote:9 - Idria columnaris / Fouquieria columnaris
Haven't had any success last year. The seeds rotted before my eyes when I sowed them last April. Could have been unlucky, could have been my fault.
I don't know how much advice I can give you on these. You probably have more experience and knowledge than I. But I can tell you that I have 5 Fouquieria columnaris seedlings that are now ~5 months old.

I have found the seeds get moldy easily, much like Aloe seeds with their paper casing. Inorganic soil is better I think.

I have planted Fouquieria columnaris seeds twice now. The first batch saw 90% germination within 2 weeks. I used a sandy desert medium with ~20-30% organic (coconut coir). They were germinated in my kitchen at 75-80°F temperatures. I covered them until germination and then lifted the lid and exposed them to free-air.

When they do germinate, they grow tall very rapidly and their first 2-3 pairs of leaves in the first month. Unfortunately, mine did not get enough light and they got leggy and fell over. They died off after that.

The second batch saw 90% germination within 2 weeks as well. I used a very similar growing medium. This time I germinated them in my grow test under very intense LED grow lights. Initially, they thrived. The grew rapidly and had 4 pairs of leaves and strong stems. But then they started to turn while/pale. Then the leaves started to die. I shaded them from the light, but there was no change. I finally moved them out of the tent to a southern facing windowsill and they are slowly recovering. Their growth seems stunted and they have only 1-2 leaves each. But the leaves are turning green again. I am hopeful they will recover. Their caudex is about the size of a pea with some thorns present.

I will start a 3rd batch here soon. I will grow them completely in the windowsill I think.

Here is a photo I have of the second batch. They are ~1-1.5 months old in this photo:
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I have just sown the Yucca seeds. I will be sowing mesembs next week. Maybe I will sow Rauhia and Peperomia then too.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I just got some Massonia and Daubenya seeds in from the SABG (Southern African Bulb Group). I am tempting to sow them now, even though it is quite late in October already. Will they germinate, and will they grow well enough before next summer and their first dormancy?

I always in an unheated greenhouse, and I don't use additional lighting. I live in the Netherlands, so I am in a moderate cold climate. Temperatures during the day is about 10 to 15C (warmer in the greenhouse), at night around 5C. It gets light at around 7:30 in the morning at dark again at 18:30 (but of course day light time is diminishing at a rate of about five minutes a day at the moment).

Will it be wise to sow now, or just wait until next spring (or even next autumn, in September)? I am in doubt at the moment...
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Hi, Aiko, I was looking for posts about Othonna germination and found that one. I have Othonna macrosperma seeds and I would like to know how was your experience on growing this genus from seeds. I'm planning to sow them next month (Summer). Do you think I should wait for cooler temps?
Thanks in advance
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

It has been a few years since I sowed it. I believe it took a long time for Othonne to germinate. It is probably best to wait for cooler months to sow. But as germination could take a long while, you might as well try it when it is warm already. By the time it gets cool (how cool does it actually get where you are?) they might be ready to germinate. But hard to compare our climates.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Thanks, Aiko. Really hard to compare our climates. If Othonna likes cool weather, it may dislike my conditions:

The temperatures in the coldest months are (data from the last 20 years):

Mean lowest temp.: May 14C June 13C July 12C
Mean highest temp.: May 25C June 24C July 25C
Mean temp: May 19C June 19C July 19C

Not really cold. Anyway, until now the Mesembs looks fine, so there is a chance for other cold lovers...

I'll sow some of the seeds next month and wait for them to decide.

By the way, any advice for Avonia quinaria (I read that it likes hot weather to germinate, but what is "hot" is relative...)

Thanks again,

Marcelo
Pushrestart

Post by Pushrestart »

Wanted to quickly chime in, I sowed avonias with conos this fall and it was a complete failure 1 seedling out of 15 still alive, they do not like cool temps.
I think they'll do much better in your warmer climate with strong sun! Good luck :) !
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Thanks Push! That's exciting (however I feel sorry for your bad experience). I read that Avonia seeds don't last long; they must be sown soon after harvest. This may be a problem, the seeds I have can be old. Also, I read that they germinate well at about 20C: if this is true, I should sow in fall/winter, but I'm sure I'll not wait this long !
iann

Post by iann »

Welwitschia seedlings obviously don't need a 30cm pot, but they will in a couple of years and they don't like being moved. Same goes for sowing them together, but there probably has to be some concession to practicality.

Avonia germinates quickly in hot conditions, but the seed is often not viable. A. quinaria can be sown fresh off the plants the day that it ripens and will germinate in 24 hours. Six months later you may get nothing.

I suspect Othonna won't survive in Brazil. I don't know all the species, but many of them are desperately stubborn winter growers that die back at the slightest sign of warmth, and that's in England.
--ian