First grown from seed attempt

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Peterthecactusguy

Re: First grown from seed attempt

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

thanks guys and gals. And Maja, I have been able to keep them at around 65-75F all the time since I sowed them. They are liking the heat and sun light. I can't believe I was so nervous to grow stuff from seed. It's pretty easy here. :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Lost 1 of my 2 18" Saguaro "seedlings" over the Winter -- seemed to have been a delayed transplant rot, because they didn't get watered after beginning of Nov.! Maybe you could donate a couple as "foreign aid" :lol: On the other hand, with "Sequestration" in effect, don't know if that applies only to American programs or actually every programs :roll:
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Peterthecactusguy

haha maybe. I am letting the grow atm. When they get bigger and need to be repotted I might have some for sale or trade. I don't know what I am going to do with all of them after all ;)
Peterthecactusguy

An update :)

Image Fero wislenzii

ImageNot very nude Gymno denudium

ImageGymno denudium top, Gymno
bodenbenderianum bottom.
Image Echinocereus boyce-thompsonii (top) Mammillaria grahamii (bottom)

Imagemystery seed middle, Echinocactus grusonii bottom, and of course on top, Fero cylindraceus

ImageF. cylindraceus.. (whatever it's called now..) growing fine in un-nuked soil. It's an experiment :)

All above this are aprx 1 month old, all below are two months old for the most part
Imagesaguaro babies closeup. Getting their spines. :)

Image Opuntia basilaris (about 1 month old)

ImageFero Cylindraceus

ImageSame Feros

And that is all for now :) Sorry I won't get any flowering from seed grown pics for awhile. What's 2 months for a saguaro when it can take them 80 or more years to be able to bloom? ;)
Sharpy

Post by Sharpy »

Your getting some really good germination for sure!

What is the depth of your medium, if I may ask?
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
Peterthecactusguy

Sharpy, I actually did a really crappy job of making sure each was even, so between 1.5 and 2 inches. The containers are around 2.5 inches deep. :) Yes probably not the best way to do it, but it was my first attempt. And since a lot germinated I guess I was lucky :)
Sharpy

Post by Sharpy »

No no, not getting at anything wrong. Was just curious is all. Those containers come in several different depths.

I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing at all. IMO its going really great so far. With that many seedlings in one area, they should do good.
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
Peterthecactusguy

that's what I am thinking, tho. They came up in clumps... the Opuntia basilaris for instance the seeds stuck to my fingers so likely they all just sorta lumped into a few places.. oh well :) 18/20 germination rate isn't bad.. :) I think 1-2 of those 18 might not make it.. but we shall see lol :)
Peterthecactusguy

just a quick update: Some of my seedlings are being attacked by fungus gnats. I sprayed them today with some Hydrogen peroxide. I hope they will be ok, but I lost a few Opuntia basilaris.. I might separate them earlier than I wanted too, but they are pretty large at this point..
Subverted

Post by Subverted »

I have found that 70% isopropyl alcohol is a better solution to gnats than anything else I have tried. A fine mist even kills flying adults sometimes.

As far as I can tell it does not harm the seedlings in the time it takes to evaporate but if you are concerned you could water them a couple mins after to dilute any remaining in the soil.
Sharpy

Post by Sharpy »

Ugh that sucks Peter. I just got done dealing with those in my grafting trays. Am not sure if just misting with hydrogen peroxide is going to kill them off.

What I have read about them is the larva live in the top 2" of soil and go dormant when the soil dries out. The flies have a 7 day life cycle. Supposedly the larva die on contact with peroxide.

I used 1:4 household peroxide/water when the soil was dry and repeated this after 5 days. They "seem" to be all gone now. Waiting to see if any manage to come back up.

But once again my situation was not with seedlings. Someone should be able to chime in on how hard you can hit seedlings before you melt them.

Never tried isopropal, so can't say anything one way or the other on that.

Best of luck!
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

I tried isopropyl for seedlings and I ended up with deflated white sacks after a few days. Needless to say they didn't make it. :P It could've been that I didn't air the pots out enough, but I'd avoid IPA from now on. Peroxide is fine, though. I've used 3-5% directly on seedlings and they've been fine.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Peterthecactusguy

I have been warned against using 70% IPA that is way too harsh. I might just drench the soil with pure peroxide. I am using app 4-1 ratio of water to peroxide. I could probably use it straight up and they would be ok. BTW that is what I have heard too that the peroxide is toxic to the larvae. I am not concerned with the adults other than I dont want them to lay more eggs. The larvae are what do the damage, they eat roots... as well as other organic matter..I will see what's going on today. I let them dry out a little bit yesterday.. IDK with seedlings.... :(
Peterthecactusguy

they were fairly dry so I spritzed them with some of the mixture. I dont know if it will help or not. Three trays have them in them now.. But I watched all the stupid adults fly out into spider webs HAHAHAHAHAHA. so hopefully I am killing their eggs and larvae with the peroxide.