Astrophytum seed germination

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
iann

Re: Astrophytum seed germination

Post by iann »

They are covered with fungus because they're dead. Not the other way round. Probably they were dead when you bought them.
--ian
Glochid Fingers

Post by Glochid Fingers »

Just out of curiosity, would exposure to UltraViolet radiation from a cfl party bulb be a way to sterilize the inside of the bag after it has been closed? We used to do something similar to our plastic safety goggles in high school. You would put them in the box and turn on the light and next time we had a lab they would be free of germs (claims our teacher). Would the light just kill the bad stuff, or would it hurt the seeds too? :(
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Did that in Micro. in grad. school to create "mutes" (just after glaciers retreated! :lol: . I'd be leery! :-k
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
midlife crisis

Post by midlife crisis »

iann wrote:They are covered with fungus because they're dead. Not the other way round. Probably they were dead when you bought them.
With all due respect this statement is incorrect there are a large number of fungi that live on live plants and animals mildew's for example are caused by fungi attack and rust is also a fungal infection. The following photo is not the best but the seeds sprouted and then were attacked by the fungi which must have been from the seeds as all of the trays that had these seeds had the same problems but other trays with seeds from a different source had no fungal problems at all.
IMG_5627.JPG
IMG_5627.JPG (91.8 KiB) Viewed 4673 times
Hanazono wrote:I wash Astrophytum seeds after collection with running water.
I also wash seeds with running water by myself when I bought seeds from someone.

I do not sterilize pottingmix but I use a fungicide.
- Spraying fungicide over pottingmix top before sowing seeds
- Spraying fungicide again over pottingmix top after sown seeds
- Do not use fungicide after starting germination

I have never experience fungi problem since I started to use this process.

Hanazono can you tell us what fungicide you use

Cheers
Midlife
iann

Post by iann »

I stand by my statement. The vast majority of the seedling deaths I see were caused by poor cultural conditions, not because someone failed to use a fungicide. If the culture is wrong the seedlings will die and spraying them, before during or after, will not save them. I don't use any fungicide on my seedlings, occasionally a dilute bleach wash on habitat seed if I remember, and death is rare. If a seedling does die then it often grows fungus however well sterilised I thought the conditions were.
--ian
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

Midlife

I use Fongarid (Systemic fungicide) made by a companey in NSW.

Hanazono
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

I've learned to trust Iann, because numerous times I've tried to prove him wrong ](*,) ! Haven't done it Yet! :wink: This is also one of the cases. And by mere observation & not trying to "save" the seedlings, I'm leaning much more towards the opportunistic fungi theory, rather than the cause. Had one species in baggie that killed some, but only @ 1/2. The rest did fine. :D
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Mitchell101

Post by Mitchell101 »

I've had fungus before in with my seedlings and not because they were dead. The fungus was introduced through some popsicle sticks which I used as dividers. Even though I soaked them in fongarid they still introduced the fungus. The fungus was just like a spider's web and it went away when I took out the popsicle sticks. None of the seedlings died and the fungus is gone.

It was definately the popsicle sticks because it happened both times I used them as dividers.

But yeah... when the seedlings die in the high humidity fungus normally takes over so naturally you would think the fungus killed the seedlings but it's not the case.

I can't say in this case whether the fungus came before some seedlings died or after though.
Last edited by Mitchell101 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

I've had the "popsicle fungus" before, too! Definitely learned That lesson :roll:
christ_hears

Post by christ_hears »

What fungicide do yall recommend?
"Beauty is often hidden behind a veil of ugly"
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

christ_hears wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:20 pm What fungicide do yall recommend?
Trying to control pathogens in a seed raising mix by using fungicides is poor culture and does not work very well. Start with a good highly active mix and you should not have problems. Pathogen (actually usually oomycites not fungi) attack comes about when the mix is microbially unbalanced 99% of the time. A balanced well matured mix overwhelms the pathogens as the bacteria (mainly) use them for food or by killing them off or suppressing them with antibiotics they produce.
You can make your own suppressive mix by mixing up some leaf mold, cow manure and hardwood sawdust put moist into a plastic bag with many holes in it. Keep moist and warm if possible and mix it around every few days. Leave for one year minimum but keep slightly moist always.
Sieve out some of the fines from this a year or 2 later and incorporate that at 15% or so into your sandy germination mix. Use the final mix after a week or 2. DEFINITELY DO NOT TRY TO STERILIZE IT but you can leave it in the sun to heat up to about 60 degrees C for a while if you like. This will really get things going in it.
Better than any fungicide you could ever buy.
7george

Post by 7george »

2. DEFINITELY DO NOT TRY TO STERILIZE IT but you can leave it in the sun to heat up to about 60 degrees C for a while if you like. This will really get things going in it.
Good luck with doing this winter time. Leaf mold can contain root Nematoda's as well.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

7george wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:53 am
2. DEFINITELY DO NOT TRY TO STERILIZE IT but you can leave it in the sun to heat up to about 60 degrees C for a while if you like. This will really get things going in it.
Good luck with doing this winter time. Leaf mold can contain root Nematoda's as well.
Hi George.
Do it in summer - the year before you need it. I just did mine ready for next spring. It takes some planning! :)
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

At the moment I am stuck using Mancozeb, but years ago I used Fungarid. It seems like they are not making Fungarid anymore. I wish it was still being made as it worked a lot better.
Zone 10, Sydney Australia
I love the Mexican Miniatures best!