Harvesting seeds help!

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Chasethorn

Harvesting seeds help!

Post by Chasethorn »

So I have a neochilenia setosiflora that just bloomed and is shriveling up. After that, do I get a fruit? And after I get a fruit, do i wait till ripe then pick it and smash it on something and let the seeds dry? What I'm asking is, how do I properly obtain seeds and grow them? I can't really find much on google or at least don't know how to search it.
CactusFanDan

Re: Harvesting seeds help!

Post by CactusFanDan »

You may or may not get a fruit, it depends on whether or not the flower was pollinated. If you do get a fruit, wait until it is nice and ripe and detaches easily from the plant. You should then leave it to dry out thoroughly and then somehow separate the seeds from the pulp. Different people have different ways of doing that, so wait for them to chip in. Personally, I tend to try and remove any pulp by hand, and that is probably the best option for you as well, since you're only dealing with one fruit. After you've obtained the seeds, you just sow them as you would normally. There's more information of sowing cactus seeds on this forum. Try reading some old posts if you want.

Hope that helps! :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Chasethorn

Post by Chasethorn »

Where can I buy seeds online?
cactihunter

Post by cactihunter »

Mesa Garden has an awesome list of seeds and plants so well worth a look
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

cactihunter wrote:Mesa Garden has an awesome list of seeds and plants so well worth a look
Mesa Garden has a brilliant selection and so does SuccSeed. There are lots of places to get cactus seeds, though. I would suggest a commercial mixed cactus seed to start off with, though, if it's your first time growing cacti from seed. To help hone your techniques and abilities. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog