Seed-planning April/May 2011

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

looking great there!

november may not be the best time for it but it may be wise to graft the aztekium seedlings, they rarely survive on their own roots
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Gypscoprotheres

Post by Gypscoprotheres »

StrUktO wrote:looking great there!

november may not be the best time for it but it may be wise to graft the aztekium seedlings, they rarely survive on their own roots
Thank you!

About the grafting... I know that a lot of people do graft those aztekiums, but I'm planning to grow these on their own roots. April next year I'll grow another 20 of them (instead of grow you can read sow, because this time only 8 out of 40 came up and 5 of them are still alive today). I might try to graft 2 or 3 on a Selenicereus. I'll sow these ones too. No idea if it's possible to use Selenicereus seedlings to graft Aztekiums on them, but that I'll go after later.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

it depends how old your selenicereus seedlings are...
the diameter of the stock and the scion should roughly be the same normally, however since were dealing with a seedling scion here the selenicereus stock would be too young
your selenicereus should have the looks and characteristics of its adult form, then you can graft on it
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Gypscoprotheres

That does sound logical. :) With the Aztekiums that would mean to use Selenicereus seedlings. Aren't they too weak, being that small?
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

your selenicereus should have the looks and characteristics of its adult form, then you can graft on it
the grafting stock has to be strong, otherwise both will dry out
how old is the selenicereus?

there is also another option but you'd have to wait until spring, I can send you some hylocereus...
Gypscoprotheres

They are to be born yet. :P The Aztekiums that I'll try to graft aren't around yet either.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

well, the selenicereus would have to be at least 6 months to a year older than the aztekium for it to work, I doin't know exact numbers it would depend on how fast the stock is growing
Gypscoprotheres

Ok, thanks. I'll keep that in mind. The Selenicereus will grow a lot faster than the aztekiums for sure. Does the cactus I'll use for grafting have to be 6 months older or can the Aztekium also be older and does it just depends on the size? I can imagine that it's important that the Selenicereus at least has some nice roots.

And about sizes. I can imagine that a 6 months old Selenicereus has the same thickness as a 1 or 2 year old Aztekium. Does that matter?
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

yes that does make a big difference, the selenicereus should be past the seedling stage at which point your aztekium will still be a seedling, however, I think time is of the essence, your aztekium seedlings may not survive that long..
Gypscoprotheres

An up-date on my Browningia microsperma seedlings:

They seem to do very well. Slowly they're changing in colour too and start to have darker spines with a reddish tint in it. I'm not an experienced photographer yet... This is what I could make. :)
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

They seem to be doing very well. Nice!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Gypscoprotheres

Re: Seed-planning April/May 2011

During the last week, I've re-potted all of them accept de Aztekium ritteri.

All of them...

Browningia microsperma (in the front)

Trichocereus bridgesii (in the back)

Echinopsis terschecki (in the front)

Carnegiea gigantea

Astrophytum asterias

The mistery box...

Lophophora williamsii

Lophophora williamsii v La Popa Nuevo Leon

Lophophora williamsii v Nuevo Yucatan (in the front)

And last but least ;) :
Aztekium ritteri, probably they'll never be re-potted...

Everything looks way more organized now and if you look in the background of the first pic, you can see the preparations for this years seedlings. :)