Echinomastus seedlings

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
iann

Post by iann »

weather.com rainfall averages for El Paso, TX.

WeatherReports.com climate averages for El Paso,TX

You can also explore GCHN precipitation records for actual daily and monthly rainfall at various stations, but it can be difficult to understand or even find. Here is an example for Chihuahua University. Click on Get data to see the actual monthly rainfall in each year, which will show you the variation that gets masked in the averages.
--ian
kuni1234567

Re: Echinomastus seedlings

Post by kuni1234567 »

I am beginning to think that Echinomastus cactus grow in areas that receive very little rain but, must get moisture in the form of morning dew just like Copiapoa cactus that live in Chile. I live in Southern California near the ocean and it rains in the winter and a little in the summer but, there are many days with morning dew. I am growing a number of Echinomastus johnsonii and water then very little and see if winter rains and morning dew is enough for them. I will find out in a few months if the plants flower or not. I like the cactus probably because they look like small barrel cactus compared to the Ferrocactus in my collection.
keith

Post by keith »

They live in the true desert and when I lived in AZ I almost never saw morning dew. Hot as hell then violent rainstorms in summer and then dry and hot again, cold in winter at night but dry. I have seen echinomastus erectrocentrus in habitat they are kinda rare and I don't think live very long. I used to see alot of dead ones. I have one still alive from seed a echinomastus eretrocentrus but hold little hope for its long term survival in CA. In Phoenix they grew fine for me and flowered. In CA the roots die and the plant drys up. Intertextus never grew well for me for some reason. Erectrocentus did well I think it liked the extreme heat of spring thats when it grew. Some winter rain. never grew johnsonii. They are very cool cactus and have nice flowers.
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I know that most Echinomastus plants grow in the desert and get very little rainfall. I will see if E. johnsonii will grow in Southern California near the ocean.
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I believe that Echinomastus plants receive water from condensation as well as from rainwater. The plants have very dense spines that can collect water from condensation. I did some research and found that 20 percent relative humidity can easily create water using condensation. The relative humidity in Meadview, AZ where E. johnsonii grow was 28 percent today.
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I leave my Echinomastus outside and it rains mostly in the winter time and some rain in the summer months. I see new growth in a number of plants and see one plant with flower buds. I had to throw out one dead plant today but, the rest of them appear to be alive. I realize that Southern California has more rain than Arizona but, plants in pots need more water than ones grown in the soil.