"Out of the Bag" ceremony?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
MagiCarpus

"Out of the Bag" ceremony?

Post by MagiCarpus »

Almost a month ago I shared some pictures of my seedlings, grown using the baggie method. Since then Melocactus matanzanus and Echinocereus rigidissimus v.rubispinus, have grown considerably. The general advice I got regarding this method is to leave the seedlings inside for at least 6 months. However, despite how well they're doing, I'm starting to worry that overcrowding might become an issue.

Here is a link of my previous post
http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 45#p325845

Based on the pictures and the description provided, are they ready to meet the harsh world outside the bag?

It has only been 2.5 months since the germination of these E.rigidissimus v.rubispinus, but they are reaching the size of a peanut, with a few of them already fighting for space (cluster of seedlings on the left side).
different angle (crowded cluster in front centre). Sorry the plastic won't let me take a better picture :x

Most of these M.matanzanus seedlings are growing in tight groups of 2-3 seedlings, and are in contact of each other. These will be 3 month old in 2 days on September 29th. My concern is that if I don't transplant them soon, further growth will be severely hindered by space. I also want to avoid deformity as the result of crowding, and am aiming for nice spherical bodies.

What do you think, leave them be for another 3 months? or bust them out?

Thanks
I suck at identification :dontknow:
greenknight

Re: "Out of the Bag" ceremony?

Post by greenknight »

They're not too crowded. No need to worry about deformity, they'll quickly grow out of it when they have space.

You could take them out of the bags, but they'll grow faster if you don't. That's assuming they have enough light, do you have supplemental lighting for them? Natural light won't be enough over the winter, they'll become etiolated if you keep them growing without artificial light. If you can't provide enough light you need to wean them from the bags, let them dry out and go dormant.
Spence :mrgreen:
MagiCarpus

Post by MagiCarpus »

Hello greenknight, thank you for your input. I do have 3 X 24W (2' in length) 6400K T5HO lamps illuminating an area that is about 4' square in area. These seedlings have been under the light for 2 weeks now and seem to be doing okay so far. I don't have any fancy gadget that measures spectral profile, light intensity or PAR, so I'm keeping the fingers crossed and hope that that's sufficient light.

For now I will retract my itching finger from opening the bag. I think my new plan is to keep them in the bag until at least the 6th month.

As a novice, I have a lot of questions and unfound anxiety, and I appreciated you taking the time to answer them.
iann

Post by iann »

That should be plenty of light for seedlings. The Echinocereus can take more when still quite small, but they'll be fine until you can put them out in the sun next year.
--ian
MagiCarpus

Post by MagiCarpus »

The reassurance is nice iann, seeing that fluorescent is the only option within my budget. When I was home in the summer, a tomato vine would bring me buckets of fruits, while chards would yield 6-7 crops, all in the span on 4 months! Starting cactus from seeds has been a complete change in pace, and certainly a test of my patience.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, you're in good shape with those lamps. No worries, you just need - as you say - patience. :D
Spence :mrgreen: