Problems with Mesembs seedlings, help!

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
mmcavall

Re: Problems with Mesembs seedlings, help!

Post by mmcavall »

I did kind of a "mulching" or a "small heap" of coarse sand, hidding the long stem of the seedlings, hopping that it would give support to the cotyledons, so they could stay upwards. This worked out for sometime, cotyledons look happy. But when I moved one of the heaps, I discovered the shrank stem. I don't know whether the heap caused the shranking or not, also, I don't know whether this heap helped the cotyledon survive, in the case of the stem had shranked before I have done that, if you follow me.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

If my guess is right and it's just changing into root, it's not a problem. I checked, of the 4 surviving Titanopsis, 3 have the shrunken stems - the one that doesn't looks no healthier than the others. On the other hand, none of the Fenestrarias with long stems lived. <edit> No, I take that back, one Fenestraria that's still alive has a touch of the shrinky stem <end edit>
Spence :mrgreen:
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

ok Spence, those are good new, thanks
iann

Post by iann »

The "strangulated" one just looks like a root to me. It would be better in the soil, but sometimes they end up like this. Some how they always seem to get themselves sorted out. You might try heaping some sand over the root, but it might do more harm than good.
--ian
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

iann wrote:The "strangulated" one just looks like a root to me. It would be better in the soil, but sometimes they end up like this. Some how they always seem to get themselves sorted out. You might try heaping some sand over the root, but it might do more harm than good.
thanks Iann f