mold and fungus help!

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
mjaurelio

mold and fungus help!

Post by mjaurelio »

i am having trouble with growing cacti from seed because i always end up with mold forming on the seedlings when they just begin to sprout :evil: . i sterilize the pots and soil before i sow the seeds but i still end up with mold :cry: .... i read somewhere online that a major cause of mold is not from the pot or the medium used, but is from the actual seed itself. :-k

so i was wondering if it would be okay to somewhat "clean" the seeds before i sow them using 3% hydrogen peroxide, just by lightly misting them before i sow them, or is 3% HP too harsh for the seeds? or do you think that rinsing them under water will help prevent the formation of fungus and mold? 8-[
kristian_Fossmo

Re: mold and fungus help!

Post by kristian_Fossmo »

The best way to deal with the mold problem is to not cover them up... If you put them in shade, a light morning and evening spray is the way to go.
"When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again."
William Beebe, 1906
Wilk

Re: mold and fungus help!

Post by Wilk »

I have sown a lot of seed over the last 3 years and rarely has mould/fungus from the seed itself been a problem. I would think it is more likely that your problems stem from either inadequate sterilisation or an overly organic sowing mix but without seeing an image it makes it difficult to be certain. Do you sterilise the water which you use as well as pots and compost?