Growing mesembs for first time--does this look normal?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
tomo

Growing mesembs for first time--does this look normal?

Post by tomo »

OK, total beginner here embarking on new hobby. :D I planted these frithia pulchra seeds Feb. 12 and a few sprouted Feb. 17. I took a photo a few days ago and a few more have sprouted since then. They seemed to be doing well, but then this morning, I noticed a few of them had tipped over. :shock: I've read that this can happen so I delicately tried to upright a few of them and positioned a few tiny rocks around them to sort of prop them up. What can I do to help them along?

Here's the photo from a few days ago, sorry the color/details aren't that great. The seedlings are a very nice healthy-looking green in real life. :)
Attachments
frithia pulchra 2-22.jpg
frithia pulchra 2-22.jpg (51.87 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
iann

Re: Growing mesembs for first time--does this look normal?

Post by iann »

I'd be very surprised if those are Frithias. If they are they are *extremely* etiolated. Are they inside a cupboard with the light off?
--ian
tomo

Post by tomo »

I have them in a Western facing window sill with a shade cover (although last week, we had a cold snap in FL, and for a few nights I would move them to a dark room to protect them from the temps. at night but then in the morning I'd pop them back in the window sill all day long) I kept reading how delicate mesembs seedlings were and how they shouldn't be exposed to direct sunlight etc. etc. and also that seedlings needed some periods of complete darkness but maybe I over did it? #-o :(

So...the long stringy part that's sticking up awkwardly from the ground...I'm guessing it shouldn't look like that? The color is a brighter lime green in person, but I don't know if that's right or not. Any way I can save/fix them?
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I don't recall my sown Frithia's to be this... lengthy.
From what source are the seeds from?
iann

Post by iann »

I found some photos of Frithia seedlings. Had to go back to 2004!

They germinate like this:
frithia1.jpg
frithia1.jpg (68.45 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
Then after a few weeks they start to gro true leaves:
frithia2.jpg
frithia2.jpg (49.69 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
Notice they appear individually, not in pairs:
frithia3.jpg
frithia3.jpg (56.82 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
These can grow in direct sunlight and be all the better for it. Really string Florida sunlight might burn them, but I can't imagine a problem in February. Mesemb seedlings are not allergic to sunlight, that cacti. Strangely, Lithops are very easy to overheat in direct sun, but most other mesembs are more resilient.
--ian
tomo

Post by tomo »

@Aiko, I see, so they're NOT supposed to be this lengthy, good to know. I bought them from a Florida seller on ebay, I can PM you the seller's name if you're interested?

@Ian, thanks for sharing your photos! Wow they are lovely! And it's so helpful to see what they should look like now (and in a few weeks.) That's also good to know about mesembs seedlings being more sunlight tolerant than lithops.

I'll move them out of the window sill and into more direct light. Should I try to replant the "stringy" part beneath the soil? Or just leave them alone and hope for the best? All well, even if they don't make it, I'm learning to (hopefully) try again. :)
iann

Post by iann »

If they really are Frithia (I still don't think they are) then I doubt there is much you can do for them at this stage. Just try to provide the right conditions and see if they can recover. Maybe some more will germinate and grow better.
--ian
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

For future seed sowing I would advice you to buy your seeds from respectable commercial seed sellers, like Mesa Garden or other seed sellers mentioned in the Updated seed lists thread: http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 15#p299494" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I personally would only steer to Ebay and such for the more rare seeds that are (hardly) not being offered in commercial trade but only available in small quantities from private growers / sellers and to take a gamble there. Frithia pulchra is very commonly available from commercial seed sellers, so probably a better and more trustworthy source as they need to run their business on credibility.
tomo

Post by tomo »

I've moved it to a brighter spot with more direct light, I guess now just wait and see what happens. I'm curious to see what (if?) they will grow into since it looks like they're probably not Frithia!

Aiko I appreciate the advice re: avoiding buying seeds on eBay. You're right, it's better to stick with more tried and true commercial sellers. :)

Thank you both again for your help and expert opinions! :)