Finally starting some seeds

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
SkyClan Cat

Finally starting some seeds

Post by SkyClan Cat »

I got a mixed cactus seed kit from Walmart a few years ago (2012, I think?), but never did anything with it because the whole thing about having to sterilize everything intimidated me too much, and also I didn't have any suitable lighting.

And now, especially remembering the old coworker my mom told me about last year who was growing cactus seeds and wasn't having a particularly hard time of it, I've been really feeling an itch for cute tiny cactus seedlings.

Now, I still don't like the idea of using bleach to clean stuff, or of cooking non-food stuff at high temperatures. I have birds in the house, so I have to be careful about what gets in the air. But I also don't want nasty organisms getting into my seeds. So I cleaned the pot with hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, and water, and I'm using some of this sand as a medium, since it does not contain organic matter for mold to grow on.

Here it is now, under my grow bulb that I have now.
IMG_4795.png
IMG_4795.png (387.1 KiB) Viewed 3902 times
Also I don't know if these are even still viable, so I got a new packet (also mixed seeds; hey, I like the idea of surprise, at least to some extent). Haven't planted the new ones yet, though.

(Also that Haworthia was already badly etiolated when I got it)
We do what we must
because we can.
For the good of all of us.
Except the ones who are dead.
But there's no sense crying over every mistake.
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
SkyClan Cat

Re: Finally starting some seeds

Post by SkyClan Cat »

Today, two pots of the new seeds
IMG_4814.JPG
IMG_4814.JPG (175.39 KiB) Viewed 3867 times
These pots are marked with "15" so I can differentiate between the old and new seeds (the old seeds are not marked).
We do what we must
because we can.
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

Hi. Welcome to the wonderful world of cacti seed germination. If I was trying to germinate them, the bags would literally be running with condensation, but each to their own method. Good luck,

Steve
SkyClan Cat

Post by SkyClan Cat »

The old seeds are starting to come up already!
IMG_4821.png
IMG_4821.png (348.92 KiB) Viewed 3820 times
(The picture is blurry because of the bag.)
Onzuka wrote:Hi. Welcome to the wonderful world of cacti seed germination. If I was trying to germinate them, the bags would literally be running with condensation, but each to their own method. Good luck,

Steve
Thanks! They do have some condensation; it just took a little time to develop. I hope it's enough; currently each bag has condensation only visible on one side. The sand was watered, though, right before I put the seeds in.
We do what we must
because we can.
SkyClan Cat

Post by SkyClan Cat »

Look at all these little babies
IMG_4824.JPG
IMG_4824.JPG (133.9 KiB) Viewed 3783 times
One of the new seed pots has one too now.
We do what we must
because we can.
iann

Post by iann »

Looks like they're having some trouble getting their roots into the soil (sand!), probably because it is too dense. Possibly need a little more light too. You want them to be a good dark green, maybe slightly red/brown but not too red. Pale green tends to mean not enough light, although they sometimes take a few days to get properly green after germinating.
--ian
SkyClan Cat

Post by SkyClan Cat »

Ah, didn't know I was actually supposed to be aiming for dark green. The ones in that pot are now, though (except for the two that just came up within the last couple days), so I guess they just needed some time for that. The roots appear to have mostly sorted themselves.

Also I've got a few mold spots, I guess on some dead seeds (and like... two instances of dark brownish specks surrounding a vaguely seedling-shaped space*; that's got me kind of concerned).

*Very difficult to get pictures of them in the bags, but here
IMG_4855.png
IMG_4855.png (351.47 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
IMG_4854.JPG
IMG_4854.JPG (129.61 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
And I think some of the seed shells that are still on top of seedlings are starting to get a little fuzzy. Should I open the bags now? It hasn't even been a whole month. Also I guess I should get some tweezers; I need to go out and do some stuff later anyway.

There's currently a total of around 40 seedlings between the three pots, and most of them look great, but like I said, very difficult to get pictures.
We do what we must
because we can.
7george

Post by 7george »

It's too early to panic about those in trouble, they could manage to get rid of shells somehow a bit later. If I decide to intervene (bury roots or remove seed cover) I use clean wooden stick through barely unsealed bag. Try also spraying some peroxide solution inside, over the surface. Seedlings are small yet.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
iann

Post by iann »

I can't really see what you have growing there. I've seen all sorts of nasties in my pots, but so long as they're only growing on dead stuff like seed shells then I don't worry about it. White threads on dead seeds seems to be the most common, perhaps because I don't usually sterilise the seeds themselves. I don't open the bags until algae or moss starts to grow, or the seedlings themselves start keeling over. Even dying seedlings is usually down to poor growing conditions rather than simply high humidity. If you get the conditions right, almost any cactus seedling can live in 100% humidity for many many months.
--ian
AaronR

Post by AaronR »

iann wrote:I can't really see what you have growing there. I've seen all sorts of nasties in my pots, but so long as they're only growing on dead stuff like seed shells then I don't worry about it. White threads on dead seeds seems to be the most common, perhaps because I don't usually sterilise the seeds themselves. I don't open the bags until algae or moss starts to grow, or the seedlings themselves start keeling over. Even dying seedlings is usually down to poor growing conditions rather than simply high humidity. If you get the conditions right, almost any cactus seedling can live in 100% humidity for many many months.

Thanks this was just the info I happened to be looking for, thanks. SC C - Looks like you're doing OK there, I noticed with my young sprouts that the helmet head doesn't cause an issue like it would with say a tomato (though I am totally new and my experience shallow).
SkyClan Cat

Post by SkyClan Cat »

Lost a couple seedlings, most are still looking great, and many are getting spines!

Been keeping an eye on the mold, and it hasn't been causing too much trouble.
We do what we must
because we can.
SkyClan Cat

Post by SkyClan Cat »

cute tiny spines (and some still-above-ground roots on that upper left one, grrr)
IMG_4874.png
IMG_4874.png (383.05 KiB) Viewed 3583 times
We do what we must
because we can.
SkyClan Cat

Post by SkyClan Cat »

A couple of them now have their areoles starting to separate into more areoles.

(Also I still have a bunch of years-old Rebutia minuscula seeds and sowed a few of them in a tiny pot to see if they would still be any good, even though as I understand, Rebutia seeds are supposed to have a relatively short shelf life? But at least one seed apparently hasn't gotten that memo; something's coming up in that pot)
We do what we must
because we can.
iann

Post by iann »

I think a lot of people slap Rebutia seeds in their propagator and nothing comes up, so they assume that the seed is bad. Half the time they just kept it too warm.

Looks like you've got some Ferocactus seedlings, very common in mixed packets.
--ian
SkyClan Cat

Post by SkyClan Cat »

The mixed seedlings are taking their sweet time with any progress; meanwhile, more of the Rebutia seeds are coming up (7 so far).
We do what we must
because we can.