strombocacti grow log

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
cefalophone

strombocacti grow log

Post by cefalophone »

Later today I'll be placing an order for the following strombocacti.

Strombocactus corredigorae
Strombocactus disciformis
Strombocactus esperenzae
Stronger cactus jarmilae

I do not know how long I will have to wait for them, but when I receive them I will start them using the baggie method. I'll be using a soil mix of 75/25 pumice/sifted soil.

I do not have the best of luck with Mexican species or cacti with fine grain seeds. So does anyone have any helpful info so that I can ensure their survival if they sprout?
adetheproducer

Re: strombocacti grow log

Post by adetheproducer »

Just to be patient. Strombocactus are very slow. Keep the soil free of moss and algi or they get lost very quickly.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
cefalophone

Post by cefalophone »

In the past I would spritz my cacti with hydrogen peroxide diluted in water after sprouting. Would that help prevent algae growth?

I'm really looking forward to growing some cacti from seed again :mrgreen:
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

cefalophone wrote:In the past I would spritz my cacti with hydrogen peroxide diluted in water after sprouting. Would that help prevent algae growth?
I would say no. Temporary at best. Well sterilisation and a long time locked up in a closed bag immediately after sowing on moist sterilised soil is from my point of view the only decent solution.
cefalophone

Post by cefalophone »

Aiko wrote:
cefalophone wrote:In the past I would spritz my cacti with hydrogen peroxide diluted in water after sprouting. Would that help prevent algae growth?
I would say no. Temporary at best. Well sterilisation and a long time locked up in a closed bag immediately after sowing on moist sterilised soil is from my point of view the only decent solution.
Alright will do. I just microwave damp soil for around five minutes to sterilize it right? It's been two years since I have grown from seed so I'm a little out of practice. Also how do I sterilize the pumice? Do I just microwave it with the soil?
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Five minutes might do the trick, but I would not bet on it. I cook my soil for half an hour in an old pan. I mix my soil, add a big splash of rainwater, stir it until it has a pea soup density and then let it stir for half an hour with a closed lid (or partially opened if the watery content is too high). I am not much of a microwave person, but I reckon many others are and have good results with a few minutes of cooking in a microwave...?
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

It depends on how much soil you're microwaving at one time. Five minutes should be more than enough for a few 2" pots worth of soil, but larger amounts may need longer.
cefalophone

Post by cefalophone »

Oh ok. When I sterilized my soil in the past I microwaved it. But I was doing 2" pots worth at a time like HP22B said. I am a a bit ocd and have to do one pot at a time to try to control all the variables. I'm still waiting to hear back how long it will take for my order to be sent so I have time to decide how I go about sterilizing my soil. But I think I will go with your method aiko. Do you sterilize your soil in an oven or on the stove top? Maybe I could leave the soil in a crock pot to simmer for a few hours. Do you think that would work?
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Anything that will get the wet / moist soil to boil and keep it boiling for a while will do. I use an old pan on top of the stove, so I don't have to worry much of maybe damaging a good pan while I regularly stir the sandy / loam mix. It will give a 'nice' smell while cooking...
cefalophone

Post by cefalophone »

Thanks aiko youve been a great help. I'll be picking up some new soil this week and I'll just pop it in a crock pot for a day or two before I receive my seeds. I just received confirmation that my order is being processed. So I have plenty of time to properly prepare.

I also ordeered some oetegocactus seeds with my order. I have not grown one since some slugs devoured mine six years ago. I figure they will be easier to take care of than the strombocacti. Am I right in this assumption?
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

See:-

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden- ... g-soil.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://libinfo.uark.edu/aas/issues/1991v45/v45a8.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
iann

Post by iann »

Strombocactus are not difficult to grow from seed, although the seed itself is often not viable. It appears to have a short shelf life, not surprising for such tiny seed. Fresh off my own plants it germinates quickly and easily. From commercial sources, it often doesn't germinate at all. Make sure you buy from a quality source. The *only* place I've ever bought commercial Strombocactus seed that germinated was Succseed, although I certainly haven't tried every seller in the world.

They're slow but not as ridiculous as some people make out. Sterilise well so you can keep them sealed up for many months, possibly a year. Keep them warm and you'll probably need a way to top up the water without opening the bag. My pots are only covered from the top so I can stand them in water if they dry out too much, although in 100% humidity the soil only has to be slightly moist for the seedlings to do well. They grow steadily and can flower at 2-3 years. They'll still be less than an inch across though :)

Ortegocactus are also not difficult. They germinate more easily, are bigger when they sprout but also slow to grow on. Plan on bright light, they can take direct sun here in England at just 3-4 months old.
--ian
cefalophone

Post by cefalophone »

I ordered my seeds from malej jarda. I believe it was Dave who reccommended them. I looked up reviews before placing an order and most folks say the seeds are of good quality. The only downside is how long he takes to get the orders sent out. But if the seeds are viable and of good quality I do not mind needing to wait.

Next month I'll be ordering from succseed. They finally replied to my email about sending me the strombo seeds. But all he said was "we cantry..." Not sure how I should take that response though but I'll be ordering anyway. I'll also be picking up some oreocereus trollii seeds and maybe some eriosyce. I'm not sure but I have time to work on my list.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Ian says:-

"Keep them warm and you'll probably need a way to top up the water without opening the bag. My pots are only covered from the top so I can stand them in water if they dry out too much, although in 100% humidity the soil only has to be slightly moist for the seedlings to do well."

One way to only cover the top of the pot is transparent cling film or kitchen wrap. Strombocacti, Aztekium's etc are not going to grow that quickly they will soon hit the film, unlike many other faster cactus seedlings provided you keep the soil half to three-quarters of an inch down from the pot rim.
iann

Post by iann »

Absolutely. A Strombocactus seedling is unlikely to grow much more than a couple of millimetres tall in the first year, very little chance of it reaching any covering. If they ever grow taller than wide you probably aren't giving them enough light. Also it may seem strange but even touching the plastic and wet pretty much 24/7 cactus seedlings do great. Try this once you've exposed them to the air and most likely they'll be dead in a month.
--ian