❀My Growing Diary❀

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
CactusFanDan

Re: ❀My Seed Log❀

Post by CactusFanDan »

Be patient with the seeds, some can take over a month to germinate, so patience is certainly a virtue. :) If you sow directly into a sealed plastic tub, I've noticed that most of the moisture accumulates around the edges of the container unless you add an excessive amount of water to the container, so only plants at the edge thrive. All in all, I think it's just better to sow seeds in a pot in a bag than it is to sow them in a sealed plastic microwaveable container.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
TexasPricklyPiglet

Post by TexasPricklyPiglet »

CactusFanDan wrote:Be patient with the seeds, some can take over a month to germinate, so patience is certainly a virtue. :) If you sow directly into a sealed plastic tub, I've noticed that most of the moisture accumulates around the edges of the container unless you add an excessive amount of water to the container, so only plants at the edge thrive. All in all, I think it's just better to sow seeds in a pot in a bag than it is to sow them in a sealed plastic microwaveable container.
Yes, it's just that I'm not too hopeful about them. I really think that I sowed them improperly and gave them too much to deal with. The other seeds (in the bags), on the other hand, are doing just fine. I just have to leave them alone and forget about them for a while so that I'm not fussing over them all the time and bothering them while they are trying to grow.
Image Image Image

A young Texan girl in a big cactus world.

<3 Trade with me? <3
walker87

Post by walker87 »

At the end of the day there is no right or wrong way to sow cacti seeds, obviously there are a few simple rules to observe but it comes down to what works for the individual.
I've used takeaway containers for all my seeds and had some great results, I do not use the lids that come with the containers I use cling wrap which is weighted in the centre with a sinker the kind that is used for fishing. This ensures the moisture drops down in the centre of the container.
Haven't noticed any issues with the water dropping back onto the seedlings either, I got very concerned at first when the water used to drop directly on them but it doesn't seem to have had any negative effects.
I plant my seeds in a very moist environment, no pooled water but very close. I've found the seedlings respond well to this environment. It does take a little extra time to ensure the correct moisture level and I've got it wrong a few times and had to add more water at a later stage.
The pot in bag method does have it's appeal though, more so for when they get taken out of the bag it would be much easier to water them. The method I use is a little tricky as it would be very easy to overwater and there is no where for excess water to go.
Will try and post some pics of my seedlings but it's very tricky photographing through cling wrap!
Still no show from the B.liliputana but I'm hopeful they will pop up to say hello soon.
TexasPricklyPiglet

Well, I hope my method is going to work for me. I see my fluffy stuff on the end of like two of my B. Liliputana seeds. I hope that is a good sign. I know what you mean about the photographing thing, it is hard for me to even see clearly through the plastic bag. I hope yours pop up soon too. I want to see some recent pictures of a baby B. Liliputana. I don't mind if all I get is one seed into adulthood, I could live with one. I just want to have it on its own roots. That's my goal. I also want to get seeds from my T. schmiedickeanus subsp. andersonii to grow some more. Do you know if they are self-fertile. I can't find a definitive list with each species and if it is self-fertile or not.
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
TexasPricklyPiglet

Re: ❀My Growing Diary❀

Update: July 17, 2014

It is about ten o' clock here and it is about to rain. I think I am going to have to bring my cacti in again so that they don't get watered as they've just been repotted into better soil and better sized pots. I just checked on the seeds. Here is what I've seen:

Blossfeldia Liliputana: I see at least two seeds that have a green ball of fuzz on the end of them. It looks like that may be a good size as they are almost the size of the seeds themselves and that was definitely not there before.

Turbinicarpus Laui: I see one seed that looks like something has changed about it. It looks fuzzy, like something has come out of it maybe?

Also, I don't know where to update on my other cacti growing ventures (not from seed), so I think I should include it here:

T. Schmiedickeanus subsp. andersonii: She's doing fine. I repotted on July 16th, so I'll water on July 30th.
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

I don't think any T. schmiedickeanus subspecies are self-fertile. I've never had seeds from any of the ones I have, but perhaps andersonii is different. :) There isn't a definitive list of which cactus species are self-fertile and which are not. There is even variation within plants from different locations, but of the same species. However, ADBLPS' seed catalogue has some basic information on fertility. :P
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
JimHSoars

Post by JimHSoars »

Congrats TPP! I used a similar bag for my Fralia seeds. Planted 10 seeds and 1 came up. :)

- Jim
TexasPricklyPiglet

Darn! Oh well, I'm going to buy another one soon anyway. Thank you for letting me know about that resource :)

And thank you so much Jim, congrats to you too! It is extremely exciting and gratifying. I can't wait to see more action in the coming weeks.
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
TexasPricklyPiglet

July 19th 2014,

I keep seeing things in the seed pots. I'm not sure exactly what is going on, am I catching glimpses of sand granules in odd light? Or are there things actually emerging from the seeds. Also, is that fuzzy stuff on one of my T. Laui seeds an actual sign of life? Or did the seed get moldy or something? I'm not sure. I don't think it is mold because it not on anything else and I've never seen mold look like that. It looks more like a tiny root or something of the like. I now can spot four B. Liliputana seeds that are definitely growing. They are by far the fastest yet.

Other things:

All of my newly repotted cacti seem do be doing really well. The cuttings that I received from James are in their small clay pots. I'm going to move the whole collection up stairs to my balcony because it is drier and roomier. They also get more full sun. Plus, I don't want them to catch anything contagious from the other non-cactus plants. I'm getting them out of there quick!

My new bicolor flower is going to open up soon it looks like. I'm going to set that as my avatar when I see it.
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
TexasPricklyPiglet

This whole seed growing thing is really stressful. I know I'm a beginner, but I wish there wasn't such a big learning curve. It is super annoying to know that I'm making mistakes and I don't quite know how to fix them or even if they can be fixed. For instance, today I had to mist my bags because they were getting dry, so I guess that means I didn't put enough water in them at first. When I sprayed, I think I matted down whatever that little white fluff is on one of my seeds. It looks like a solid white mass on the outside of one of my seeds rather than a small amount of fluff like it once was. If it was some sort of root, does that mean that I've drowned it? And that's another thing, I can't find any resources to let me know what seeds look like at the early stages. All I ever see is when there are actually green little seedlings, but what is that white fuzzy stuff?!
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
cjbaker

Post by cjbaker »

Learning can be the best part! And we're lucky to have friends from far and wide who share their experience and expertise. I'm also a beginner with growing from seed, I'm sure we're making mistakes but there's no need for stress :)

Think of it as getting to know them. These plants are slow and hardy, and too much care often seems to smother them. White fuzz is what the first roots sometimes look like. Other times it can be mold. I'm sure you can find pictures of both on the forums, but in a few days you'll have seen with your own eyes whether they have sprouted or died!
Craig [my pictures]
TexasPricklyPiglet

That is true. We are lucky, but sometimes I wish that time wasn't so precious and I just had unlimited time to make the errors that I need to make, but I don't, and I want to get everything right. Plus I'm a perfectionist, so it can be hard for me to accept my millions of mistakes :D I think I'm just going to wait to see with my own eyes. Thanks cjbaker.
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
TexasPricklyPiglet

Update: July 21, 2014

The seeds are doing good. It looks like something is happening with the A. Ritteri seeds. I'm not all that sure, but it looks like they might be germinating or something. One of the seeds looks like it sprouted some sort of translucent something or other, and perhaps two minuscule grains of sand are on it. How I wish I could magnify everything I see at will. Anyway, I hope that this won't hurt its growth or development. I know, I know. I'm being too over protective. They are cacti after all. We're all tough out here.
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
TexasPricklyPiglet

Update: July 22, 2014

It pains me to say, but I think that two of my seeds have succumb to a fungus or mold of some sort. The white fluffy stuff is not new little roots like I had thought. Well, I'm kind of over the whole, "Oh my gosh, I'm going to watch them every waking moment" phase, so I'm just going to pick those seeds out, spray a little diluted H2O2 on the rest, and we'll see if anything happens. There are still no signs of anything happening with a majority of them.
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
walker87

Post by walker87 »

I too spent many hours staring at tubs of soil. Have learnt over the past few months that sometimes the best thing for cacti seedlings is to just leave them be, it is very difficult to do this at first but believe me it will save you a lot of stress, anxiety and worry. I have cut down from checking on mine upwards of 5 times a day to checking every couple of days, more so to water the ones that are out of the bag.
In terms of the mould/fungus you have encountered, you may like to consider baking your soil in the oven next time it is the method I use and have not had even one container go bad.
I dampen the soil (quiet wet) put it in a baking tray and cover very tightly with foil, bake for 1 hour at about 200-220 (centigrade, I do not know farnheit) take the tray out give it a good mix and then back in the over for 30 minutes, I then switch the oven off and leave the soil in there to cool for many hours. May seem like a long and drawn out process but it has worked wonders for me.
I have lost a couple of seedlings to what seems to be fungus/pathogens but this is because I do not sterlize the seeds themselves, the ones that turned bad did not spread anything to the other seedlings.

Hope this helps!