Anyone experience with Calathea?

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
Serrie

Anyone experience with Calathea?

Post by Serrie »

As I like more plants than only succulents and cacti I have a lot of other plants as well. Howerever since about a month or so i got myself 2 Calathea. I have not had these plants before. I read about how they dont like cold, not too direct sunlight, high humidity and preferably not let them dry out too fully.
The last week my Calathea zebrina's shortest bottom leaves are starting to turn yellow and some ends crispy brown. Which would meant the plant is too dry, despite keeping the soil moist (not wet) and spraying the plant with water a couple time a week.
Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?
DesertSun

Re: Anyone experience with Calathea?

Post by DesertSun »

Yes, I have five or so Calathea species. Indirect light, do not expose to direct sunlight. By no means should they be placed close to any heat source, they dislike heaters. I spray mine every a couple of days, always in the morning, never in the noon. I have placed mine on a humidity tray also. You are probably not doing anything wrong by what you are describing, eventually any old leaves will yellow and get dry and die off, it's a natural procedure. If your Calathea shows signs of new, healthy growth, you are OK. Never leave them standing with "wet feet" either, empty the saucer from the bottom of the pot after you water. Could you perhaps upload some photos? It would greatly help, I would like to see the soil, pot, etc. Best to photograph them where they are put in your space.
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb
Serrie

Re: Anyone experience with Calathea?

Post by Serrie »

Thanks for the reply!
I have no idea what I possibly did wrong but the last week no more leaves have turned yellow. Also as you said if its showing signs of new growth and it looks healthy it is probably ok. It is showing this too. I was probably just a little over worried as I had no previous experience with these plants and there are some plant, no matter how many time I try and whatever I try to keep them healthy and alive, they keep dying on me :/
But I feel a lot more confident about my calathea now, thank you so much!