Growth Over Time - Wisteria

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
DesertSun

Re: Growth Over Time - Wisteria

Post by DesertSun »

Thank you Wayne, I will study the link you put! I will follow all the advice, I am thinking of trailing the wisteria, when I get her, towards my railing, where she will have sun. I love the fact that she is deciduous, that way leaves the sun available in winter and gives her shadow in the spring and summer. :)
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Even though took seven years for the flowers to first show, the arbor with the Wisteria growing on it is my favorite place on the property here where I live. I love sitting under it in the shade, whether there are flowers or not.

This is a cactus and succulent forum, and not a Wisteria forum, but I was talking to someone about it and he requested that I post pictures. I hope I have in some way caused you to do something that will, in the end, create a great deal of pleasure for you.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

DesertSun wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:31 amI love the fact that she is deciduous,
Wisteria does lose its leaves late in the year, and being prolific in its foliage, will make a big mess on your back porch (or wherever you put it}. But it is a truly beautiful plant and i don't mind the fallen leaves. Birds love to nest in it too, so that is an added attraction.

This forum attracts Cactus and succulent lovers from all over the world, and I love the International aspect of the forum. I think it is just fascinating to talk to people from all over the world. So, noticing that you are a new member here, I would like to extend my own personal "welcome to the Forum" to you. I have always found the people that I speak to here to be wonderful, kind, giving, respectful people who are always willing to expend their time in order to help other people. I have never yet once run across someone here at this forum who was rude or obnoxious.

Καλώς ήλθατε στο φόρουμ.
Είμαστε χαρούμενοι που ήρθατε εδώ.

(from google translate, i hope it is correct. )
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

DesertSun wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:31 am Thank you Wayne, I will study the link you put! I will follow all the advice, I am thinking of trailing the wisteria, when I get her, towards my railing, where she will have sun. I love the fact that she is deciduous, that way leaves the sun available in winter and gives her shadow in the spring and summer. :)
Not to step over wayne but an easier choice would be a bougainvillea or a jasmine. They totally thrive in our weather and flower almost all year round. Some are deciduous too
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:30 pm ... They totally thrive in our weather and flower almost all year round...
A nice idea... Wisteria flowers are very short lived.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Yes that's the problem with wisteria. That's why i surrounded my house with jasmine, gardenia, loquats and orange trees. You can smell thr perfume from the end of the block. Bougainvilleas are very striking but with no scent and they're not very cold tolerant.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

This is similar to one of the bougainvilleas i have. It's called raspberry ice. It has variegated leaves and deep fuschia flowers (technically bracts). I also grow several colors
Attachments
014949132111.jpg
014949132111.jpg (87.83 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:08 pm This is similar to one of the bougainvilleas i have. It's called raspberry ice. It has variegated leaves and deep fuschia flowers (technically bracts). I also grow several colors
It's very nice to see that you grow more than just cacti
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

WayneByerly wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:06 am
ElieEstephane wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:08 pm This is similar to one of the bougainvilleas i have. It's called raspberry ice. It has variegated leaves and deep fuschia flowers (technically bracts). I also grow several colors
It's very nice to see that you grow more than just cacti
Ironically enough, cacti are the smallest part of what i grow. I love perfumed flowers like the ones cited above along with plumeria, stephanotis floribunda, trachelospermum jasminoides and many others. I plant endless amounts of annual and perennial flowers but my favorites are the amazingly colored zinnias. And of course lots of herbs like basil, thyme, oregano, marjarom, scented pelagroniums... but the most important herb is Lebanon is Origanum syriacum. I collect my seeds in habitat and it's very delicious! I also grow a lot of coleus, lillies, begonias and many other beautiful plants
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

That is amazing Elie, what a range of plants you grow! I have many houseplant species, Calathea, Dieffenbachia, Dracaenas, various palms, Philodendrons, Syngonium, ivy, crotons, schefflera, Tillandsia, bromeliads, Spathiphyllum, I keep various Sansevierias, but as for flowering plants, I must only have orchids! My houseplants must be over 100 inside the house, but my balcony is going to be devoted to cacti and succulents! I love the idea about the bougainvillea, I used to have one some years ago, maybe I will get me another. Never had any plumerias or jasmine, but pelargoniums I did have. I want that bougainvillea with the variegated leaves! ha ha
Chinese proverb
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

If you can't decide what color bougainvillea you want, you can always get one of those grafted ones. I've always wanted to grow sansivieria but i never find the ones i want. As for orchids, i know a nursery that sells them dirt cheap but i never brought home. They never attracted me in any way. Oh and i love crotons! I really liked your choice of plants!
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Thank you! I also have numerous ficus, standard and variegated, Medinilla magnifica, Jungus grass, peperomias, Anthuriums, chlorophytums, Monstera deliciosa, many more. Plants are such a joy! Not all of them are made for our harsh summer, but I try to keep the humidity levels up at those months.
@Wayne, when you say the flowers of the Wisteria don't last long, how much do they last? For days? I think I have the photo of a wisteria somewhere, I will find it and show you, we were on vacation when we saw it, so huge and gorgeous!
Chinese proverb
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

DesertSun wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:10 am @Wayne, when you say the flowers of the Wisteria don't last long, how much do they last? For days? I think I have the photo of a wisteria somewhere, I will find it and show you, we were on vacation when we saw it, so huge and gorgeous!
As best as I can recall, they lasted about a week. At least the ones that grow on my wisteria do. I'm not sure whether that is due to the particular species of Wisteria that I have, or my climate, or the soil that they grow in (primarily clay and Rock) .
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:54 am Ironically enough, cacti are the smallest part of what i grow....
Elie...
I am literally sitting here with my mouth hanging open in astonishment. What an amazing range of botanical interests you have!
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

WayneByerly wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:16 am
DesertSun wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:10 am @Wayne, when you say the flowers of the Wisteria don't last long, how much do they last? For days? I think I have the photo of a wisteria somewhere, I will find it and show you, we were on vacation when we saw it, so huge and gorgeous!
As best as I can recall, they lasted about a week. At least the ones that grow on my wisteria do. I'm not sure whether that is due to the particular species of Wisteria that I have, or my climate, or the soil that they grow in (primarily clay and Rock) .
Thank you for your answer Wayne! A week is not so bad, if the plant is very flower prolific and Wisteria is.
Chinese proverb