Growth Over Time - Wisteria

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
jp29

Re: Growth Over Time - Wisteria

Post by jp29 »

I have fond memories of the spectacular Wisteria flower displays in gardens at the foot hills of Fujiyama (Mt. Fuji) in Japan when I lived there in the early 1960s. The Japanese people have always held Wisteria in high regard and often featured representations of them on a variety of artistic artifacts. Here is such a representation of a Wisteria flower (sagari fuji) on a 17th century iron Samurai sword (Nihonto) guard (tsuba}:

James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
jp29

Post by jp29 »

ElieEstephane wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:05 pm ...... Yes that's why i surrounded my house with jasmine, gardenia, loquats and orange trees. You can smell thr perfume from the end of the block .....
I don’t wish to hijack Wayne’s thread, but here in Southern Arizona it seems several commercial and hobbyist cactus and succulent growers cultivate citrus trees (either in the ground or in containers - I do) - especially lemon and orange. They flourish here and seem to just fit so well with cactus and succulent growing. And, of course, the heavenly fragrance of their flowers and the delicious fruit they bear are a great attraction. I will start a thread here shortly relating to this subject - I know you will be a valuable contributor, Elie.
James
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

jp29 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:32 pm
ElieEstephane wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:05 pm ...... Yes that's why i surrounded my house with jasmine, gardenia, loquats and orange trees. You can smell thr perfume from the end of the block .....
I don’t wish to hijack Wayne’s thread, but here in Southern Arizona it seems several commercial and hobbyist cactus and succulent growers cultivate citrus trees (either in the ground or in container - I do) - especially lemon and orange. They flourish here and seem to just fit so well with cactus and succulent growing. And, of course, the heavenly fragrance of their flowers and the delicious fruit they bear are a great attraction. I will start a thread here shortly relating to this subject - I know you will be a valuable contributor, Elie.
Oh i now live in an area whose "nickname" roughly translates to the sweet smelling city because it is surrounded by oranges and the streets are planted with oranges.
One thing that's overlooked is the wood. When we prune the trees and the wood is burned in the chimney, it has a very sweet smell. We also make a sweet and orange blossom water with the flowers and both are used in the production or arabian sweets
Attachments
10890768_926554214029827_1037637023_n.jpg
10890768_926554214029827_1037637023_n.jpg (31.97 KiB) Viewed 3681 times
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Very good Elie.

Meyer lemon is very popular here and that is what I mostly grow. Agave nectar syrup is mostly used instead of refined sugar to make outstanding lemonade (margaritas too) using the delicious fruit.

Recipe:

Squeeze one Meyer lemon into a glass containing ice cubes -- top up the glass with water -- add agave nectar to taste -- stir, and sip.

But all of this properly belongs in a thread relating to citrus tree cultivation for we are now encroaching on Wayne’s thread - please excuse that encroachment Wayne.
James
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Now, you make me drool Elie! Thank you and jp29 for the input of such interesting posts! I would so love to be able to see the Japanese objects in real life! You are so lucky to have lived there, it is my dream journey!
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

WayneByerly wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:14 pm
DesertSun wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:31 amI love the fact that she is deciduous,
Wisteria does lose its leaves late in the year, and being prolific in its foliage, will make a big mess on your back porch (or wherever you put it}. But it is a truly beautiful plant and i don't mind the fallen leaves. Birds love to nest in it too, so that is an added attraction.

This forum attracts Cactus and succulent lovers from all over the world, and I love the International aspect of the forum. I think it is just fascinating to talk to people from all over the world. So, noticing that you are a new member here, I would like to extend my own personal "welcome to the Forum" to you. I have always found the people that I speak to here to be wonderful, kind, giving, respectful people who are always willing to expend their time in order to help other people. I have never yet once run across someone here at this forum who was rude or obnoxious.

Καλώς ήλθατε στο φόρουμ.
Είμαστε χαρούμενοι που ήρθατε εδώ.

(from google translate, i hope it is correct. )
@Wayne, so so sweet of you! Thank you so much for the welcome and sorry we hijacked your thread, but I really find this such an interesting thread, lots of things to learn from this forum! :)
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

jp29 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:32 pm I don’t wish to hijack Wayne’s thread, but...
Please... make yourself at home... and post anything that you think the members here would be interested in. That is after all why we are here isn't it? I have absolutely NO problem at all with you "hijacking" my thread :D :D :D :D :D
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

DesertSun wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:13 pm @Wayne, so so sweet of you! Thank you so much for the welcome and sorry we hijacked your thread,
My thought is, that the reason we are here is to post things that we think other members would be interested in. So I have absolutely NO problem whatsoever with you "hijacking" :D :D :D :D my thread. Please... make yourself at home...
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

jp29 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:05 pm ... for we are now encroaching on Wayne’s thread - please excuse that encroachment Wayne.
Ha, ha, ha... You make it sound like you are setting up tents in my back yard... :D :D :D (which you would be welcome to do if you were here)

I've already made several replies to this "hijacking"... See those so i don't have to repeat myself... I have NO problems with it!!! :D :D :D
jp29

Post by jp29 »

jp29 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:32 pm .......... here in Southern Arizona it seems several commercial and hobbyist cactus and succulent growers cultivate citrus trees (either in the ground or in containers - I do) - especially lemon and orange. They flourish here and seem to just fit so well with cactus and succulent growing. And, of course, the heavenly fragrance of their flowers and the delicious fruit they bear are a great attraction. I will start a thread here shortly relating to this subject ..........
I just started the thread. Please post anything you wish there.
James