Most Iconic Cacti?

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
opuntiaddict

Most Iconic Cacti?

Post by opuntiaddict »

So being from Canada, we have some Opuntia humifusa, plus some cacti further west, but that's about it. My question is elsewhere what is the most Iconic and well known cacti? I know about the saguaro but I'd like to hear some opinions!
As the username suggests... I like fuzzy plants
ElieEstephane

Re: Most Iconic Cacti?

Post by ElieEstephane »

Here in Lebanon, the most widespread cactus is Opuntia ficus indica which is incredibly widespread from coast to mountain.
I can say that in Peru, the most iconic cacti would probably be the psychoactice trichocereus species for their use by shammans and around houses for protection from spirits and stuff
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
opuntiaddict

Post by opuntiaddict »

I guess in that way culture has an impact on it as well. Interesting
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

For the General public I would guess you are correct, the Saguaro as seen in all Western films or even Echinocactus grusonii from public collections like Monte Carlo. For the cactophile maybe something like Aztekium ritteri?

However Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus was iconic when first sent to Europe by Karwinsky in about 1840. Only three specimens were sent in the first shipment, one of which sold for $200 (a great deal of money in 1840). As a medium sized plant weighs less than half an ounce, this price was then somewhat in excess of it's weight in gold! The plant was named for Prince Kotschoubey who was a prominent patron of horticulture. He paid a thousand franks for one of these plants.
opuntiaddict

Post by opuntiaddict »

Thanks for the input, geography and location do play an important part. An example is that here in Canada Opuntia humifusa would be the most well known as it is an endangered species up here.