Suppliers for Drosera seed

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
Robb

Suppliers for Drosera seed

Post by Robb »

Can anyone recommend a good supplier for Drosera seed? Preferably one that can send internationally and meet NZs import standards. I am getting into carnivorous plants and I'm finding it difficult to find any suppliers in New Zealand so I'm thinking I'll probably have to look further afield. If anyone can recommend any reputable sources, that would be excellent!
Thanks in advance!
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
DaveW

Re: Suppliers for Drosera seed

Post by DaveW »

Don't know much about carnivorous plants being a Cactophile Robb. There is a firm in the UK among others, but the best idea is to email these firms using their "Contact Us" forms and ask if there would be any problem sending seed to New Zealand.

We don't have any trouble sending cactus seeds internationally and they are all on Appendix II, apart from a few on Appendix I, so don't see why carnivorous plant seeds should be different?

http://www.triffidnurseries.co.uk/index.php

https://www.etsystudio.com/nz/listing/4 ... sundew-big

http://www.bestcarnivorousplants.net/in ... price-list

Also I have seen seed for sale on UK EBAY, therefore maybe NZ EBAY may have some too?

Edit:- now I see the possible problem since the non natives could be considered the equivalent of Opuntia's to Australia:-

"Cape sundews (drosera capensis) are so easy to grow, they are often considered a weed in many collections. In New Zealand, they are even considered an invasive species."

http://www.nzpcn.org.nz/flora_details.aspx?ID=4596
Robb

Post by Robb »

Thanks for those links Dave! New Zealand has a few native/endemic species so I'm trying to start there. Most of them require a cool hibernation period so I'm looking for tropical species that would tolerate my greenhouse environment better.
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I think I have told this once before, but in the 1970's we used to have a member in our local cactus branch who grew these carnivorous plants. Evidently he had a pal in habitat who sent him plants and seeds. He went up to Kew Gardens and asked them about a Drosera species I think it was. He told me they said "yes it is extremely rare and difficult, we have in in micro propagation in the lab". He said he had to laugh when he came back since it came up as a "pot weed" throughout his greenhouse and he regarded it as almost impossible to kill.

As with all plants, if your conditions are right certain plants are easy, but you struggle with others. However the reverse can be the case with other collectors. It always seems strange when the plants are first introduced they seem to be much harder to grow than when they become common, then they grow like weeds. Seed particularly seems more reluctant to germinate with new discoveries than a few years later when more plentiful, but that could just be habitat seed versus cultivated seed. In the latter case there is always a possibility of hybridity with cultivated seed if not enough precautions are taken to prevent cross pollination from other plants in a general collection, then hybrid vigour for seedlings is always a possibility.
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

DaveW wrote:It always seems strange when the plants are first introduced they seem to be much harder to grow than when they become common, then they grow like weeds. Seed particularly seems more reluctant to germinate with new discoveries than a few years later when more plentiful, but that could just be habitat seed versus cultivated seed. In the latter case there is always a possibility of hybridity with cultivated seed if not enough precautions are taken to prevent cross pollination from other plants in a general collection, then hybrid vigour for seedlings is always a possibility.
Very true, Dave. Of course, it can also be lucrative to tell people something is difficult to grow when first introduced!
apoplast

Post by apoplast »

A little late to this one, but Hi Robb! I grow over 100 spp of carnivores. It's great! I tell folks that carnivorous plants do more than just grow. In terms of cheap, reliable seed (that I believe can be shipped to NZ), it's worth getting a subscription to the International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS). Seeds run from $2US to $5US for rarer stuff.

Full disclosure, I am a board member for the ICPS. But that said, I started out as a member for the seed bank, found a great community of enthusiasts, eventually found out about the conservation work they promote and fund, and eventually got myself elected to the board as a Director of Conservation, Research, and Education.

That said, I'd be happy to check with the seed bank officer to make sure we can send to NZ for you before you spend money on a membership. If you like. I can also introduce you to other CP growers in NZ. Again, if you like. I don't know the Sarracenia growers well, which is unfortunate because they have some spectacular plants! Anyhow, PM me if there is anything I can do for you. Happy to.
"If you are not killing plants, you are not really stretching yourself as a gardener."
-- J.C. Raulston, horticulturist, founder of the J.C. Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh, N.C.