Is your phone listening to your conversations?

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
DaveW

Is your phone listening to your conversations?

Post by DaveW »

See:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35639549" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adetheproducer

Re: Is your phone listening to your conversations?

Post by adetheproducer »

People always worry that governments listen in but as this shows its the private sector who are really paying attention with this kind of spying. You need to be aware of your conversations when your smart device slows down for no apparent reason and talk about really random stuff and mess with their algorithms ability to function as they want it too. We now posses the ability to ruining there advertisement model with disinformation talk about thing you do not need/want or where no profit could be gained.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

I didn't read the article. But I know this topic gets brought up all the time. I think there are a LOT of people who have no idea how powerful most modern phones are in their ability to collect data. :shock:

You won't notice a slow-down on most modern devices. Heck, you won't even notice a substantial drop in battery life. Most of the new generation phones have a separate processor or low powered processing core dedicated to voice listening and other things like sensor data collection. This is done so that your phone can be more contextually aware of where you are and what you need.

I can wake my phone (Nexus 6P) up from across the room with only my voice while it is sitting there with it's screen off. My wife's phone (Moto X) can sense when you walk by (using accelerometers to sense vibration and proximity sensors to sense presence) and it will wake up and show her pertinent information like notifications or the weather. My phone knows whether I'm running, walking, riding my bike or driving and does various functions accordingly.

These devices are tremendously powerful and designed for the specific purpose of listening to you and having awareness of its surroundings.

I don't know if I care much. I applaud the technology and its creators. But I understand just how powerful they are and what that can mean for privacy. I completely respect those who care more about their privacy than I. My advice for those would be avoid any modern cell phone. If you need privacy, probably none of them can assure you of that. Perhaps my stance is foolish and it will burn me one day. We'll find out. :-k
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I am happy I still don't have a mobile phone. I like it to not be expected to be available at any time. If people want me, they can e-mail me. I will respond when I am good and ready to do so. I don't like a rushed life. Although I am not a youngster, I am still relatively young, and have known the pre-mobile era as a youngster where you just needed to wait patiently when someone you are meeting is late. I still like to do so.

Phones are intrusive, and are a wreck for peace and quiet especially in public transport. But I am a general phone hater, mobile or stationary.
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

I very much enjoy and use my phone daily. But I rarely talk on it. And it is generally on silent. I never want it to disturb others. I hate when I am enjoying a hike outdoors and someone else is listening to music on their phone without headphones. I see this nearly every time I'm out hiking or riding.
7george

Post by 7george »

That's why I don't use smart phones. And switch off mobile phones at nights. These Android applications can not be controlled or fully removed from the devices. Voice to text technology, mobile internet connection and these are trying to sell you something continuously. I don't trust clouds either.

Hiking in Arizona? My plans are to do some hikes there about the end of this month. :D
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

That will be the perfect time to do so. Maybe just a bit warm this year (we've had a bit of a heat wave lately), but everything should be in bloom.

Where in Arizona will you be?
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

A friend of mine years ago who was a company financial controller even bought a caravan and joined the caravan club to get away from his home landline phone at weekends so his firm could not reach him in his spare time, no mobile phones in those days. Now companies issue employees with smartphones or get their personal phone number and expect to ring them up abroad even when they are on their annual holiday. Few people seem to realise that as well as being a blessing in some respects in others a mobile phone is a curse like being chained to your employer 24/7 if he knows your number.

Whilst occasionally they may increase productivity, employees now often spend a lot of time they are supposed to be working calling their friends or being called by them. When I first started work in the 1950's there was only the landline phone to the firm answered by the firms secretary and if your wife called the firm for you on something non essential the boss would tell you to tell your wife not to call you at work again unless it was an emergency, the inference being if it continued you would get the sack. Now people get regularly called at work for non essential matters such as to call in and bring something from the supermarket on their way home. I suppose therefore it is justice that if you are wasting the firms time with your personal calls the company can waste your free time by calling you in your spare time or when you are on holiday, even abroad?
7george

Post by 7george »

Vipassana wrote:That will be the perfect time to do so. Maybe just a bit warm this year (we've had a bit of a heat wave lately), but everything should be in bloom.

Where in Arizona will you be?
In Phoenix. Hot is good. :sunny: Here is snowing now. 8)
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

The weather is perfect now. You will enjoy it. This weekend there is a plant sale at the Desert Botanical Gardens so if you are here, check it out. The DBG is nice in general if you have the time.
7george

Post by 7george »

Vipassana wrote:The weather is perfect now. You will enjoy it. This weekend there is a plant sale at the Desert Botanical Gardens so if you are here, check it out. The DBG is nice in general if you have the time.
:thumbright: Sure, but it will be next week. Plant sale is good but my point will be photo hunt only. I have absolutely no space for new plants at home either desire to take anything with me across the border.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Kirsty.B

Post by Kirsty.B »

I don't want you all to get angry with me, ola kala?

I wonder why anyone would want to listen to my/our conversations?
This is a site for Cacti & Succulent lovers! What will we do? Bomb the White House with Optunia microdasys spines? :D
7george

Post by 7george »

Kirsty.B wrote:===

I wonder why anyone would want to listen to my/our conversations?
- Some people can be paid for this.

This is a site for Cacti & Succulent lovers! What will we do? Bomb the White House with Optunia microdasys spines? :D
- This is one of our hobbies, others could be different? 8)
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8