Wild-crafting???

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
LLLcacti

Wild-crafting???

Post by LLLcacti »

1. Does anyone do this anymore?
2. What are your common practices?
3. What do you keep in your pack?
4. What rules do you follow when harvesting?
5. Do you harvest for looks or food?(or both?)
6. Day trip or multiple days?
7. What do you do with your harvests?

1. Yes I do...Im beginning to think I'm the only one left :-k
2. make sure that people who I trust(family) knows where I'm going and when I'm expected to return, Print out some google maps of the Location for them to give to rescuers just in case :help: ! Take 10 gallons of water with me bury 7 of them for later recovery(and to keep the water cold. :lol: ) Set up base-camp in the center of the area that I am harvesting in.
3. Survival blankets, snake bite kit, fishing and hunting gear, fire making tools, kevlar gloves, 5 knives(you can never find one when you need it [-X ) a small pot, Power-bars(enough for 5 days), 2 field guides(one medical :read2: the other edible :tongue8: ), Glow-sticks, ziploc bags, SEED-KIT, SURVIVAL KNIFE KIT and a few spools of string.
4. I make sure that I only harvest in locations with more than 200 Or in locations where they are in imminent danger(Land that is being developed or something like that)
5. I do both looks and food...more food though.
6. I do both day-trips and once or twice a year I'll do week long trips.
7. I pot out my cuttings immediately, the seeds stay in my seed-kit until I make it home, the food usually makes it into a meal that night or into the freezer for a future meal.
The blind are truly blessed for there is no sight as marvelous as murals painted in their minds,
The deaf are truly blessed for there is no sound so joyous as the orchestra that plays in their heads!
Brunãozinho

Re: Wild-crafting???

Post by Brunãozinho »

I go often camping but that's it. I might collect some fruits around the places I go but I don't hunt anything.
Bruno
LLLcacti

Post by LLLcacti »

you should try plant hunting, its very fun and easy because plants dont run away
The blind are truly blessed for there is no sight as marvelous as murals painted in their minds,
The deaf are truly blessed for there is no sound so joyous as the orchestra that plays in their heads!
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

I can imagine that :)
To be honest, I should know more about the proper use of local plants as food... I think our society (from where I live) should know much more about the potential of using local plants... We mostly keep growing and eating a lot of plants that were of common usage in Europe ages ago, and useful knowledge about local plants was lost because many indigenous populations were dizimated.
Bruno