Winter disaster

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
majcka

Winter disaster

Post by majcka »

This winter has only just began and yet.......It took a life of my GH.
IMG_1400.JPG
IMG_1400.JPG (104.05 KiB) Viewed 3383 times
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Eutow_Intermedium

Re: Winter disaster

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

Took the life from your greenhouse more like it. Looks a bit buckled under the weight of snow from here .

=^~^=
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Now that's :idea:
majcka

Post by majcka »

Eutow_Intermedium wrote:Took the life from your greenhouse more like it. Looks a bit buckled under the weight of snow from here .

=^~^=
Well Jonathan, I manage to save most of plants out of it soon enough, not to have much more death. But my biggest Agave americana is captured there and I can not take it out, and many of aloes that were stil inthere were broken. But my winterhardy cacti were moved into a cellar this morning.
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

majcka

Post by majcka »

cactushobbyman wrote:Now that's :idea:
Right! But as you know some people say everything happens with reason. So..... :-k
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Aiko

Post by Aiko »

How cold is it up there? Maybe the Agave will survive.
majcka

Post by majcka »

Aiko wrote:How cold is it up there? Maybe the Agave will survive.
It isn't in danger at the moment (becouse of cold I mean). If the 'thing' stays up till I can find enough powerfull hands to help me lift the roof I think it will survive. It didn't get below -5C (23F) yet.
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Aiko

Post by Aiko »

majcka wrote:
Aiko wrote:How cold is it up there? Maybe the Agave will survive.
It isn't in danger at the moment (becouse of cold I mean). If the 'thing' stays up till I can find enough powerfull hands to help me lift the roof I think it will survive. It didn't get below -5C (23F) yet.
Oh, that's not too cold. Most plants can survive an odd frosty night like this, I think. It even has been colder than that up here (-7C) last night. Which does not happen often. I bet you have colder winters. But probably also snow, which works both insulating and is easier to remove than the load of rain we get in winter. Snow on plants is not that bad just as long as it does not melt. So most of your plants should be okay. Better now than in February, one might think!
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Ohh that's horrible i hope everything works out hun!
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

How are the plants doing?
majcka

Post by majcka »

Aiko wrote:How are the plants doing?
Most of them still alive. Thank you. Big Agave stil sits inthere cowered with pactic but shaltered from rain. Waiting to be placed outside or for another GH to be build. Some Aloes were ruined though.
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Oh dear Majcka! So sorry for you, is there no way you can adjust it ? I agree with Aiko about the American Agave, they can take the cold and snow. Mine are planted out and go through the winters quite well. They even survived that really cold winter of 2012 when the temps. went way down much lower than -10c. covered in snow as well. I did lose some plants that had always resisted previous winters outside,but I think that was mainly due to the snow that melted and then froze. Being in the open ground helps though. What are your plans at the moment? Let us know what the damage is and if I have anything that could help you replenish your losses let me know. You can Always PM me.

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
majcka

Post by majcka »

Thank you Susi.

I don't expect any more loses. Most of Aloes were destroyed at the same time thr GH colapsed. But I got them in pretty bad condition anyway. Actually I rescued them from one mans compost (He had too big collection and asked me to take them so he didn't have to throw them away). But since I had no idea how to handle such big Aloes I prbably would of kill them anyway.
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Time to plot on a new greenhouse. Your neighbours look like they have ia glass one in use? (But of course yours should be much bigger now you have a chance to do things right!)
majcka

Post by majcka »

Aiko wrote:Time to plot on a new greenhouse. Your neighbours look like they have ia glass one in use? (But of course yours should be much bigger now you have a chance to do things right!)
That GH of my neighbours is in 4 mm polycarbonate. The one in glass (at the back of the Picture) is not a GH for plants, but rather a warehouse. It is a lean-on glass building about 2,5 x 3,5 m but never had a single plant in it.

My GH Will be of exact lergness as previous one, becouse the foundations are in concrete and I have no room for maneuver. It is +- 30 cm thing. Only difference can be in width and even that for a -. And we don't want this, right?
:lol:
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook