Nepenthes Advice?

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
Christopher Howard

Re: Nepenthes Advice?

Post by Christopher Howard »

By the way Sax, I'm also a nut about Taxonomy.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Christopher Howard wrote:By the way Sax, I'm also a nut about Taxonomy.
Great! Understanding how plants are related to each other opens up a whole new world of understanding about them.

Barry's book is a good one. If you wanted to read another one I'd recommend getting "The Savage Garden" by Peter D'Amato. He's the guy I mentioned in my other post that has a huge collection and runs one of the largest Carnivorous Plant nurseries in the US. If I had to pick one or a few people most responsible for me having a career in plants, Peter would be right near the top of the list. If you ever get out to Northern California on a vacation you should go to his nursery (California Carnivores). It is just down the road from a nice C&S nursery, so you could hit both in one afternoon. He sells online too.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Christopher Howard

Saxicola wrote: Great! Understanding how plants are related to each other opens up a whole new world of understanding about them.
Very much so. The more that I'm able to commit to memory, the more I love the plant kingdom.
Saxicola wrote:If you wanted to read another one I'd recommend getting "The Savage Garden" by Peter D'Amato.

Cool, that one's on the shelf at my library. I'll have to pick it up tomorrow.
Thanks a bunch. and Yes, if I make my way out yonder I'll have to visit each of your respective nurseries.

Cheers. :D
BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

Agreed. Peter's book really is the good stuff regarding cultivation. Especially if you can get your hands on his second edition.
I'll grow it as long as it doesn't have glochids. Gaudy flowers a plus.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

BarryRice wrote:Agreed. Peter's book really is the good stuff regarding cultivation. Especially if you can get your hands on his second edition.
So the second edition is a significant update over the first? I hadn't gotten around to buying it because I figured they were pretty similar. If it is worth getting I'll pick one up from Peter next time I'm up at his place.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

Oh god, yes. It's way bigger, way better.

I wrote the review of it for the International Carnivorous Plant Journal. I couldn't say enough good things about it.
Christopher Howard

Barry, beautiful book.

It's a joy to read. Your love for plants shines through in your writing.
BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

Wow! Thank you very much!
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I can't be believe i just saw this post lol! As nepenthes go u picked a good beginner plant, you'll do fine as long as u give them good light,water i use distilled or rain with all my CP's and some heat/humidity they will do fine, give up a bug or two every couple of weeks dropped down the water filled traps and they will be as happy as can be! Goodluck
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Hey Barry i think we had one of yr books can't remember, the kids in the program i run had a bunch that were donated from the library or other places that didn't need or want them, which i never could understand reading a book once then throwing it away or giving it away. Maybe I'm a horder LOL! I wish i could find all the books we had but many had been. Stolen or destroyed or ruined (kids...rain...mean people) what was it called btw?
BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

My kids book is called Monster Plants. The adult one is just Growing Carnivorous Plants
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

The one that says plants that eat meat...etc...etc had a flytrap on it eating a gecko i think?
I know we had one like that and i had one with ceph's on it but it was stolen.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Off topic question about a Ceph fol. It got a little cold and it looks like there are some dead pitchers because of it all i can really see is that shine have black spots and look a little deflated/dehydrated. I wish i could take a picture but my memories full on My phone and even thoe i deleted a bunch of stuff its not letting me take picture's, which sucks cause I'm kinda worried its dying!