What are these ants doing?

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
TexasPricklyPiglet

What are these ants doing?

Post by TexasPricklyPiglet »

Okay, so I have this little pot that I planted some grass seeds in. It's just supposed to be some kind of pet grass type of thing. Anyway, since yesterday there have been these ants that are just sitting on the blades of grass, and they don't move. I even got up close and took a picture, and they just sit there. It has been hours and they are in the same spot. I did some research, and I do not know what kind of ants they are, nor can I find any information about this behavior. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Attachments
antsongrass.jpg
antsongrass.jpg (60.48 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
Image Image Image

A young Texan girl in a big cactus world.

<3 Trade with me? <3
Saxicola

Re: What are these ants doing?

Post by Saxicola »

I don't think they are ants. They are a type of Homopteran (a juvenile stage I think). Aphids and mealybug are in that group but I don't think they are actually aphids. They are probably either feeding on the plants or getting ready to molt.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
TexasPricklyPiglet

Oh, that's weird. Bugs weird me out! Oh well, I'll let them lounge there for a while, or do you think they could harm my cacti? Should I remove them?
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I think they are fairly harmless but feel free to get rid of them if you want.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
TexasPricklyPiglet

Thank you Saxicola. Luckily for me, I didn't have to feel guilty about getting rid of them. I think they just kind of took off earlier today. Good thing too, they were just weirding me out.
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Oh my goodness i would have crapped my pants, and since i rarely wear pants that would be a big problem!, i can't stand bugs of any sort even moths freak me out, that's prob why i have a bunch of CP plant's to eat them . I Remember there was this huge lime green grass hopper iny Hummel sun set jade i was watering my plants and almost dropped the pot on the ground it was just lookin at me with its beady eyes, wouldn't move i finally mustered up enough courage to catch it in a cup and set it outside.. still freaked me out now i look before i pick pots up, the thing actually hopped around my cacti and knocked over several buds attempting to land on them, I'm not sad i kicked his butt OUT!