Big Brother is listening to you!

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
DaveW

Big Brother is listening to you!

Post by DaveW »

Nothing new, you had to be very naïve to think they were not ever since the phone was invented, plus reading emails as well these days.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... rveillance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suppose all countries do it to each other, including supposed allies and even their own Secret Services to their politicians, so nobodies exempt even Monarchs, Prime Ministers or Presidents.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27695634" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It came out years later that the UK security services had a covert dossier on one of our Prime Ministers which only they knew about, so politicians can't even trust their own security services not to spy on them! :shock:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... spect.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adetheproducer

Re: Big Brother is listening to you!

Post by adetheproducer »

I use to work for vodafone, at to be honest they posses the ability to record anything that passes through your phone. The technology that contrtols mobile neworks requires the ability to locate you, read what you sending, to who, where and when just for its self to work. I am totally not surprised there are agencies at work that monitor all this activity. I think I heard a comment on TV once by a former inteligence veteran for WW2, she advised that even back then you should not say anything on the telephone you would not repeat to you mother and that the only way to have a secure conversation would be if the two of you are in the same bathroom with the cold water blasting into the bath and you talked with hushed wispers. That was 70 years ago so now they probably watch everything from your camera on your phone, record everthing through the mic and take swathes of data from face book, twitter and various other sources. Orson Welles eat your heart out.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

They don't just use phones either Ade:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/334853.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bugsweeps.com/info/bugsweepers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also with the move to "all plastic money" in the future, which is recorded at every stage, therefore the tax man will know when any payment is made, the "Black Economy" will have to change back to the barter system of taking goods in payment since all "electronic cash" payments will be traceable! :shock:

I must confess it always makes me laugh when Western countries make a big song and dance in their press, presumably for the benefit of their own citizens, that some foreign power is hacking them or bugging their embassies when they have been doing the same thing to other foreign powers for generations! Ah but that's us, so it's different!
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I remember when you had to worry about your neighbors listening in on the party line. Now that will take you back to the early 60's. :lol:
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

DaveW wrote:They don't just use phones either Ade:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/334853.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bugsweeps.com/info/bugsweepers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also with the move to "all plastic money" in the future, which is recorded at every stage, therefore the tax man will know when any payment is made, the "Black Economy" will have to change back to the barter system of taking goods in payment since all "electronic cash" payments will be traceable! :shock:

I must confess it always makes me laugh when Western countries make a big song and dance in their press, presumably for the benefit of their own citizens, that some foreign power is hacking them or bugging their embassies when they have been doing the same thing to other foreign powers for generations! Ah but that's us, so it's different!

Yeah thats all too much for me, I mean I know its going on but that is deep deep paranoia. These days I try to prioritise my socio political fears right now I'm worried about my kids not allowed to go to normal full time school cus the council think it is surpulus to requirement with the current budget. Or our local hospital A&E has shut so now there us a 20 minute drive if ya lucky and dont die on the way. And the local fire station being shut. The paranoia of thinking we might be expendable to the current fascist regime seems more worrying than some other one is nosing at they're business, actually it might even be a good thing.

Ah Anyway enough of the heaviness if you do ever feel you are be watched just do sonething really inappropriate laugh out loud and make a scene, nothing like reality tv ay. :D
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The only way you will get what you want Ade is to keep your foot on politicians throats and constantly remind them through the ballot box you employ them through your taxes so they are merely your employees, and that applies to monarchs and presidents too, who also are paid by taxpayers money.

Never put politicians on a pedestal, but always think of them as merely your employees to be removed if they do not conform to the general publics whishes'. The only thing they fear is being removed from office and their noses no longer in the trough containing the taxpayers money. The recent UKIP gains in the UK have frightened the conventional parties into now at least temporarily paying attention to what the voters want. We will be stupid if we let their attention wander again! :D
nona

Post by nona »

Many years ago I read Orwell's "1984". It didn't have the impact I was expecting as it seemed too implausible, too paranoid and obsessed. Today I am less sure. Indeed, leaders telling citizens that mass surveillance equates to freedom - sounds very much like the pages of "1984".
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

cactushobbyman wrote:I remember when you had to worry about your neighbors listening in on the party line. Now that will take you back to the early 60's. :lol:
Party line? What's that?

My memories don't go any further back than the early eighties... About the time we still had a phone you had to dial a number instead of pressing buttons.
jp29

Post by jp29 »

"Cell phone" circa. 1937

That angelic looking boy with his school satchel and carrying a letter is a pretty close depiction of me at that time :)

Only the rich had telephones in their homes during those years (at least where I lived).

And ............... thank goodness I am on the way out :!: :D

James
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Aiko wrote: Party line? What's that?
Back in the 50s (at least where I was), you would have one phone line that serviced 3 or 4 neighboring houses. While the phone would ring individually in each house, when you picked up the phone to make an outgoing call, you had to first listen for dial tone. If one of your neighbors was on a call, you'd hear their voices instead. You were forced to wait until they done before you could get dial tone for your call. If your call was particularly important, you were free to start talking and break into their conversation to ask them to hang up. Naturally, listening in on your neighbor's calls was a national passtime - with added points for not breathing into your receiver, so they wouldn't know you were spying.
Every day, after supper, Granny walks two miles. We haven't seen her in years.
Olivesnephew

Post by Olivesnephew »

Party lines - I had forgotten about them! At least then we knew that our phone line wasn't "private". Now we assume that it is. But it isn't.

:evil:
lecadec31

Post by lecadec31 »

adetheproducer wrote: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:30 pm I use to work for vodafone, at to be honest they posses the ability to record anything that passes through your phone. The technology that contrtols mobile neworks requires the ability to locate you, read what you sending, to who, where and when just for its self to work. I am totally not surprised there are agencies at work that monitor all this activity. I think I heard a comment on TV once by a former inteligence veteran for WW2, she advised that even back then you should not say anything on the telephone you would not repeat to you mother and that the only way to have a secure conversation would be if the two of you are in the same bathroom with the cold water blasting into the bath and you talked with hushed wispers Monte escalier électrique. That was 70 years ago so now they probably watch everything from your camera on your phone, record everthing through the mic and take swathes of data from face book, twitter and various other sources. Orson Welles eat your heart out.
I think that every operator must preserve the privacy and personal data of each customer.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Before Party Lines when everything went through an Operator they often listened in to conversations, particularly in areas where there was not a lot of phone traffic to keep them busy.

All these organisations are supposed to preserve the privacy and personal data of every customer, that is until the State wants it then they force them to turn it over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBI%E2%80 ... on_dispute

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2 ... d-mps.html