Whey protein to plants

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
obligo

Whey protein to plants

Post by obligo »

I know it sounds crazy but I would like to make an experiment. I have some whey protein supplement from gym that has expired and wanted to try some in some flowers as fertilize.
Don't know what to expect. Any experience or any ideas??
Cacti are the most beautiful strangers
bluetexasbonnie
Location: Geronimo, Texas (near San Antonio) Edge of zone 8a - 8b.

Re: Whey protein to plants

Post by bluetexasbonnie »

I think it will stimulate microbial activity. Much better to add it to your compost pile and let it do its thing there. It is a kind of iffy proposition for plants in small pots. In a small, artificial environment there may be only a small selection of microbes, some of which (fungi in particular), if they got too 'happy' might cause conditions that are detrimental to your plant. In the open, wild environment, there are a multitude of different microbes and competition for resources tends to keep any one from going wild.

If you really feel compelled to add it to small pots, either do it to plants you don't care about or use in only small quantities.
My cactus must be gods. They demand blood sacrifice.
obligo

Post by obligo »

Thanks! I ll try it to common and not so precious plants first!
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Any benefit you might get would be the same as putting some compost in the mix, in that maybe when it decomposes a small amount of fertilizer will form. I agree with Bonnie that if anything you are risking promoting pathogens that will flourish with the added organic material you are adding.

Plants don't eat like animals do. We ingest things, import what we need, and expel the rest. Plants take in what they need at the molecular level and don't digest or process complex items. They don't produce waste products either (for the most part). So (more or less) if it isn't in an acceptable molecular form of Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium (or a handful of minor and trace minerals) it won't be taken up by the plant, and more importantly won't do the plant any good.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
obligo

Post by obligo »

Thanks! Experiment will show ;)