Banana cuttings rooting

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
obligo

Banana cuttings rooting

Post by obligo »

Hello there. I have a question.
Some banana trees are cut to the ground and some suckers developed.
But the suckers are not on the ground to form their own roots but on the cut old trunk.
So, can I take cuttings from there and root them to make new plants?
Rooting on water or with r.hormone or somehow?
Cacti are the most beautiful strangers
Saxicola

Re: Banana cuttings rooting

Post by Saxicola »

As long as you are getting the base of the sucker where it attaches to the main plant it will probably root. Just stick it in a pot with decent potting soil and keep moist. Unlike succulents it will not react well to drying out. Don't keep it overly wet though as it can rot. You have to get it at the base because Banana stems aren't like normal plant stems. They are just overlapping leaf bases. All the growth takes place at the base of the shoot. If you have rooting hormone it wouldn't hurt to use it, but I don't think it is required.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
obligo

Post by obligo »

Thank you very much for the answer!
Do you know the average rooting time?
Would it be better if I give water from a pot plate to suck as much as it wants?
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Not sure how long but if it is warm out it shouldn't take too long. I wouldn't sit it in a tray of water. Remember I said above to keep it moist but don't keep it overly wet as it can rot. Basically treat it like a regular potted plant where you never let the soil dry out but you don't keep it soggy either.
obligo

Post by obligo »

Should I keep them indeed the house or it's ok outside? It's about 10C the lowest and 20 the highest temperature this season. It seems easier to let them suck a small amount of water from down below than to pour water from above.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Outside should be fine now. You can water from below if you want. I thought you were talking about sitting it in a tray of water all the time which is bad. But if you just want to water it from below without water staying in the tray all the time that is ok.