Friend with CLD or Chronic Lyme Disease

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
CactusBoss

Friend with CLD or Chronic Lyme Disease

Post by CactusBoss »

I have been in a rough stressful situation for the past week. I found out that my friend Nicole has Chronic Lyme Disease and it's a serious disease. She told me that she used to go up to a doctor in Wisconsin and had to pay $500 each time to get her medications but 2 months ago her doctor got shut down(treatment of Lyme Disease is highly controversial) so now she has only 2 months worth of medication left. The disease has left her with 20/100 vision and she says that it's slowly destroying her brain and body. I'm so scared for her and i don't know what to do or say. Plus now she is trying to find a new doctor and the only one she found is all the way in Connecticut but it will cost $500 for her to start off. Plus she says she's nobody in school and she sometimes drinks on the weekends. She's also only 16!!
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
ItchyBigfoot

Re: Friend with CLD or Chronic Lyme Disease

Post by ItchyBigfoot »

Hi Daniel I'm really sorry about your friend and I know what having a loved one going through a chronic disease is like. My father has been sick with fibromyalgia for as long as I can remember and it takes his toll on him with constant fatigue and pain. Drinking at her age is not healthy and can seriously affect her health along with the disease, not to mention it can interact with the medicine she takes, sometimes with dangerous results. Try to get her to stop drinking and get her some counseling about how to deal with the stress of having CLD without resorting to drinking. I will also pray for you and feel free to private message me here on cactiguide. In Matthew 15 verses 29-31 We see disallowed - see forum rules healing many people who have been injured or are sick, He even heals the blind! All the people saw this and praised the Lord for his infinite mercy and love. Pray to God and He too will hear your prayers.
"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R. Tolkien
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

ItchyBigfoot wrote:Hi Daniel I'm really sorry about your friend and I know what having a loved one going through a chronic disease is like. My father has been sick with fibromyalgia for as long as I can remember and it takes his toll on him with constant fatigue and pain. Drinking at her age is not healthy and can seriously affect her health along with the disease, not to mention it can interact with the medicine she takes, sometimes with dangerous results. Try to get her to stop drinking and get her some counseling about how to deal with the stress of having CLD without resorting to drinking. I will also pray for you and feel free to private message me here on cactiguide. In Matthew 15 verses 29-31 We see disallowed - see forum rules healing many people who have been injured or are sick, He even heals the blind! All the people saw this and praised the Lord for his infinite mercy and love. Pray to God and He too will hear your prayers.
I'm gonna be honest. I'm not a very faithful person(at all really) but it's times like these where I'd wish I was
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
ItchyBigfoot

Post by ItchyBigfoot »

Just pray and ask for help and comfort, it will be answered in time.
"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R. Tolkien
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

She's doing kinda better I just gotta convince her not to drink. She's not an alcoholic but i fear that if she gets really depressed then that may change.
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

Daniel, CLD is a very serious thing but it's curable. Clearly she had not cured during the 1st and even 2nd stage of the disease and now it's in chronic form. But right now medicine has very strong antibiotics from penicillin line, which are effective against spirochete that causes Lyme disease. From all that you've said she has only a supporting therapy, why is that? She should go through 28 days intensive antibiotics treatment and then through a long course of support with vitamins, painkillers, e.t.c. while her symptoms fade away... So, what she needs is a good competent doctor who will CURE her, not just ease her pain...

Meanwhile, if you want to support her... Just be somewhere around. It means alot to sick people to have a friend that can always hear them out. And it does not matter what YOU should say, what matters most is to listen and understand. As for the alcohol, those antibiotics are incompatible with alcohol so if she will get a proper cure she will inevitably stop drinking.