Where to bulk buy plastic plant tags?

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
tumamoc

Where to bulk buy plastic plant tags?

Post by tumamoc »

I need to start taking the labeling of my plants more seriously. This place sells 100 5-inch-long tags for $5 or 1000 tags for $26. Is that a good value? Are there any better places to get them?
Onzuka

Re: Where to bulk buy plastic plant tags?

Post by Onzuka »

I havn't a clue about the cost of tags in the US of A, but I bought some low cost ones off of Ebay a few years ago. They arrived and seemed just fine. However, in only 1 year, they had been so affected by UV light that you could not touch them without them falling into pieces. The problem would be how to know if this was going to happen.

Steve
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Hmm. I hadn't considered UV damage. I large quantity of my plants will be exposed to the harsh rays.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I just bought 1000 from them. It is a good deal. Might you find it a couple dollars cheaper elsewhere, maybe, but you are pretty close to the lowest price for that many. They will last for a number of years. Eventually all plastic tags will get brittle and break, but just replace them when that happens. Just make sure you use pencil to write on them. Every type of ink will eventually fade.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

I don't even bother with those.  I make my own as I found I often need tags of different sizes and have to cut any way.  So, I use blinds.  The kind that hang vertical.  I use white ones and cut them the size I need.  Small ones for seed cups, larger ones for plant pots. I can cut short ones for smaller plants so the tag isn't so obvious and larger ones if I need to add mor info.  They're made for hanging in the sun, so they hold up very well and you can easily write on them with a pencil.
Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I get my tags from a local hydroponic shop. The tags are small than yours, but cost $3.75 per hundred. I also get black 3.5" kord square plastic for $.36 each. Great savings, no freight. :)
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

I tried my local big nursery, but their tag prices were laughable. But I didn't shop around. $3.75 per hundred seems pretty good.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You can often find bulk offers of plant labels or tags cheap on EBAY.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksi ... &_from=R40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Problem is some plastic labels last better than others for our purposes according to the quality and type of the plastic used.
Buckethead

Post by Buckethead »

I bought a bunch from a local nursery. There must have been at least a hundred in the baggie with the nursery name on one side and blank on the other. I don't know what I paid, but it wasn't much.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

In the greenhouse (and no doubt outdoors in sunny climates), just as with plastic pots, the problem can be how long they last. Some plant tag/labels seem to last better outdoors than in UK greenhouses depending how UV stable the plastic they are made from. Therefore the cheapest is not always best if they keep snapping and need renewing.
coldcactusmontreal

Post by coldcactusmontreal »

I just got these and they are nice and cheap. But I guess you are looking for big-time volume discounts if you're looking in the 1000s

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121131305704?ssP ... 1497.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I don't like plastic because it degrades and breaks off, so I get "Doo Hickeys" from Yucca Do.com. These are metal tags you can write on with a pencil, can be reused, and last forever. They are not too expensive, especially when they have "seconds" for sale... You can stick them in the pot, or wrap them around a stem or a plant stake. And, when they are in the ground, nothing short of a lawn mower gets rid of them.
DSC_8876.JPG
DSC_8876.JPG (77.38 KiB) Viewed 2899 times
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)